External rated extension leads

str

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We're planning to go on a few camping trips this year, if the weather is half decent! but wanted some home comforts so was thinking of having an extension lead as many sites now provide hook ups for tent pitches.

would using something similar to the item on the link

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav/n...refview=search&ts=1235657147657&isSearch=true

but replacing the socket end with say a 4 gang 'normal' socket be safe?

Sponsored Links
I hope you realise that is a 110 volt lead.
One of these

would be better as it will keep sockets off the floor. Adding one of these

will make it safer. And it is likely it will need this type of plug

click on picture for links.
I am not sure on type of socket on tent sites the one I show is used with caravan sites and is more suitable for outside use.

cheers ericmark

I had noticed the reference to 110V but wondered if this was to do with the type of socket/plug it had! ie meant for site use

Had considered using a standard cable reel but with RCD protection and changing the plug to the caravaning type you have shown

Is there any safety issue over the type of cable used - given that it will be external/lying on grass (although just the cable and not the socket/plug) Again, part of my reason for looking at the heavy duty/site extension cable

http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/c...cket_mains/ma5052/not_applicable/product.html
or
http://www.winfieldsmegastore.com/c...cket_mains/ma5050/not_applicable/product.html
shopping around you may save upto £5-£10 of this (at a guess).

you really need the right stuff some sites are tight on this some arent. You must have RCD protection, many sites have it at the outlets, but many dont, and i dont like trusting RCD's that have been sat in a field, provide your own! an electric shock outside (or inside a tent) is much more likely to occur and much more likely to be fatal if it does occur.

I made my own, but it didnt really save me anything it just meant it suited my needs better, if you make it much cheaper than buying the real thing youve missed something important out.

Note also under higher loads it is essential extension leads are fully unwound to prevent fire.

Sponsored Links
thanks for that

Had seen the type you have suggested was put off by the price but you cant put a price on safety I guess! specially not with the kids about!

It looks as though it would cost me around the same amount to make my own when I include a decent RCD anyhow so may as well go for the single socket version

There should be no problem with the cable. The cable sold as Arctic cable will remain flexible at lower temperatures and has slightly thicker sheath so will last a little longer and be OK in winter but I can't see many people camping in winter. I know as a lad I spent new years day on the slops of Snowdon in a tent but there were no electric Huck ups available.
All camp sites should have earth leakage protection but having your own will ensure it will be protected anywhere. And with set-up I show the RCD can be fitted close to the plug so protecting the cable the ones shown from Sunncamp have RCD next to sockets so cable is not protected. However adding all up I will suspect my option costs more. Plus has black rather than the standard blue colour cable. There were options in screwfix with RCD plugs but these tended to be 13 Amp. To be to BS7671 regs for caravans there is not one for tents, cable should be H07RN-F (BS 7919) or equivalent and no more that 25 meters long. Also minimum cross-sectional area 2.5 mm² and I don't think what I showed would comply. How ever there are no details on other link either so don't know if that complies either. I went through whole range in Screwfix and not one tells you size of cable so only way to be sure is buy cable and make up yourself. The RCD I selected is twin pole which is required for caravans.

PS if you cut location lug off plastic yellow plug they will fit in blue sockets but you may find the camp site owner will not let you plug it in so not really worth it.

I've managed to find a source of an inline RCD that doesn't cost the earth but its rated at 13A/30mA - would this be enough?

Also, would this best be fitted close to the sockets, ie the end of the cable in use, or at the plug, where it connects to the campsite hookup?

yeah, thought of that - it is sold a s being splash proof but not waterproof!

Given that campsides are meant to have RCD protection on hook-ups, would it be okay to have this at the sockets end of the cable, so it would therefore always be inside and dry!

is 13A enough?

13A should be enough, however as the socket is techincally anywhere up to 16 A and if you are using more than a single socket then you may be better looking for a 4 gang fused one such as an MK duraplug. If the RCD is rated to IPX4 then it is suitable for use outdoors. If not then it will need to be inside.
You'll probably find the site socket is fed from the smallest MCB possible on a thin ballancing act which will trip with a hair drier anyway!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back