Dusty Tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I plan on using some tumbled stone tiles as a border in my bathroom. I'm not sure what sort of natural stone they are but they're brown (mid to dark) in colour. However, at the moment (not yet on the wall) they have a whiteish/chalky haze on them. I've scrub them with HG lime and cement remover and gave them a good rinse. When wet they look lovely wit a slight gloss to them. But when they dry, they go back to the whitish hazey look. I do plan on sealing them with HG impregnator next but would like get rid of this dusty look. Will the impregnator just sill this in? Or, is there another product I can use to retain the SLIGHT gloss look like when they're wet??? Cheers for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like they are tumbled marble and this chalky finish is normal. Prior to grouting they should be sealed with an impregnating sealer. You mention HG Impregnator. This is the wrong stuff for tumbled marble. It should be HG Marble Impregnator. Once you have applied this, it will take away the dusty finish and also enhance the colour of the stone a bit. Once grouted and cleaned off (with cement & lime film remover if you want), give it another coat of marble impregnator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back