DVR 32 channel or 2x16 channel?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need to replace an aging failing DVR in a business (its a cheap home system)

Looking at Hikvision. Having 2 16 channel DVRs - I can see the advantage of having a backup if one fails and re-jigging important cameras, but apart from that, it there any reason not to go for a 32 channel DVR? (I know the 32 channel only has 16 PoE outputs)

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It may seem like an Odd question - but the 32 channel DVR is cheaper than the 16 channel ... I'm just trying to understand if there was a technical reason (their sales said they were getting rid of stock)

If it's cheaper you may find that the overall framerate/data rate per second is lower per camera on the 32 channel. On old analogue DVRs you'd often find 4 channel kit capable of full resolution at 25fps but the 8 channel could only do 12fps per camera.

Check the specs carefully.

The cheaper 32 camera system was the mid range "k" range, the 16 channel was the top spec "i" range. they sold out of the 32 camera one anyway which made the choice easy!

But if it helps others, it wasn't totally clear on the spec, for Hikvision DVRs the "i" range supports up to 12MP cameras if needed, better throughput, and is the only model at the moment with the latest firmware which has just come out and has revamped the user interface. The bottom of the range is "E"

Sponsored Links
Yes I've gone with the x16, i estimate I need at least 20 cameras installed eventually so will get another x16 port as i install the cameras. Just knowing it is the better of the 3 models E / K / I, getting the latest firmare, more POE ports, better throughput and it only costs a little more (at trade) makes it a no brainer!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back