Earth from consumer unit...NOW WITH RESULT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I am having my house re-wired by a pro but I like to understand everything that happening for my piece of mind (and for any future problems).

Now I was thinking today about the earth situation. I am not sure if there is any earthing from where the new consumer unit will be put. I can't see any obvious label taloking about a PME system and I haven't seen a grounding rod anywhere.

Should I be looking to install a grounding rod as well?

Here is a pic if it is any use:
DSCF0741%20(Small).JPG

The black fuse box is currently not connected to a anything. Obviously a new unit with RCDs will be put in.

Sponsored Links
You're right, no sign of a suppliers earth. I see from the porcelain screw insulators that it is an old installation that has had a new service head and meter fitted. Write to your electricity supplier (don't phone) saying that there is no suppliers earth, and can they fit one please. Make it a short letter but quote the account number and (if you can see it) meterpoint number on your bill. They may charge for it. If they can, it will be better than fitting an earth rod.

Does your supply come in overhead or undergound; and do you live in a street, or an isolated rural home (it may make a differrence)?

When you are choosing your electrician (make sure he is a member of a self certification scheme) discuss this with him, he will probably have done dozens of houses just like yours in the area and will be familiar with what wants doing. But the electricity companies can be slow to react :oops: so it will be useful for you to get the ball rolling.

p.s. unrelated - try to get a 100A DP isolator fitted in the tails between the meter and your CU or Henley Blocks - it costs little but can be tremendously useful.

p.p.s As there is no sign of an earth, then you are at risk of shock until one is fitted. Even an earth rod would be better than nothing but should be supplemented by an RCD. If you are talking to electricians then ask about having it done as an interim measure.

Thanks for the reply.

Currently I don't own the house (exchanging contracts this week hopefully) and the re-wire is planned for before we move in.

I will try and get hold of the electricity supplier and see what they say.

The supply is overhead cable and the house is in a terrace of about 4. I suppose you could call it semi-rural though and is just over 100 years old (if that makes any difference).

Johnd is right,

I ended up getting it sorted over the phone but were still waiting for the date.

I'd def push for the henley block and if possible an isolator switch in between the meter and the CU.

Kev

Sponsored Links
chaosss said:
The supply is overhead cable and the house is in a terrace of about 4. I suppose you could call it semi-rural though and is just over 100 years old (if that makes any difference).

Overhead and rural increases the chance that they will not offer PME; but I hear its now more common, and your incomer looks quite modern, so, who knows?

It it is TT, the DNO will laugh in your face: there is no requirement for them to supply you with an earth terminal. They may fit one, but will charge through the snoz.

If TT, you can ask if they will convert to TN-C-S. This will give you a Ze of 0.35 Ohm max, miles better than the 200 Ohm max recommended for TT.

Not saying your rod will be as high as that, but that is recommended maximum above which you should investigate.

If they agree to PME it, they will ask you to fit MEB's to services.

They may also ask for installation cert. One of my guys went to a house where there was no MET, and it was because the supplier has forgotten to fit a link from the cut-out to the terminal (It was PME....)

They turned up, then informed the customer that they couldn't put in the link until the MEB's had been sorted and they had seen the IC.

Feeky chuckers or what??

Your paying for a re-wire. Get the spark to sort it for you, it's his job, and he will liase with the DNO. He will either rod and RCD you (poor job really), or will get it PME'd. Mention you want PME to the spark.

Looks like your in Western Power Distributions area to me? Where abouts?

WPD charg £18 for PME, but an earth MUST BE PRESENTED TO THEM to connect - they wont just wack a henley on the wall for you.

Cheers for the replies. I will start investigating.

The house is just south of Bristol in High Littleton so probably WPD.

Although I could just tell the spark to sort it I like to know exactly what is happening for future reference and so I can prepare for any additional work that needs doing (I am doing all of the preparation to cut down on costs).

My electrician said about sinking a rod but I knew this wasn't the best situation so will make a few phone calls.

Thanks for all your help guys.

I spoke to WPD yesterday and they called me back almost immediately and have said that I can have a PME system installed there.

There may already be one hidden in there and not connected but as soon as the sale completes they are going to come up and have a look.

If one is not installed they will charge £50 + the dreaded to install one.

A right result I think as sinking a rod would have been a nightmare.

Thanks for all your help

You could have done the ultimate DIY bodge to provide an earth . . . . a pot of soil under the electric meter with a steel nail sunk in it, soldered to a bit of coathanger wire, running to the Consumer unit.

ONLY JOKING DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back