Earth problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hope you are all well, can you please help I have to earth the mains cold, and hot from the cylinder but I have removed some copper and used plastic, so the sink and pipes are no longer earthed, the nearest earthed appliance is the cooker so I was going to connect to the 15 mm gas supply is this ok, but also they might have now made the gas and water incoming mains to plastic if this might be the case what do I earth to, I am at a loss lol.

Thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Main earth bonding in 10mm to the gas pipe and water pipe (less than 600mm from gas meter and main water cock) + rcd protection removes the need to supplementary bond.

When the above isn't in situ supplementary bonding of extranous metal work / pipes is not required for a kitchen sink- it applies (mostly) to bathroom rads and taps.

Check the DIYnot wiki for more details.

Chri5, thanks for the quick response, i would say that the oven supply pipe is about 5 meters away from the meter so i guess i am stuffed lol

i have read on some web pages that as you say kitchen sink does not require earthing, is this beacuse its earthed on the incoming main, if this is the case i have broken that connection as i have used hep20 or do i just not need to earth the sink at all, im sorry for been thick

Sponsored Links
You don't need to 'earth' any of what you're talking about.

All you need to do is BOND the incoming water and gas mains. Bond them as they enter the property with 10mm^2 back to the Main Earth Terminal.

Thank you for the information and just to clarify that even thu i have a copper main then changed to plastic and then back to copper i do not need to earth the pipe or the sink as this is no longer a requirment, and it does not matter that there will be no earth at all for the sink and pipes,

Thankyou i will sleep with out the worry now

You should read this excellent book that's on Amazon. It's called "An Illustrated Expl..." :eek: :LOL:

YOU DON'T EARTH ANY OF THAT. EVER. THE ONLY THINGS THAT ARE EARTHED ARE ELECTRICAL APPLIANCES ETC.

You need to read up on bonding - views differ on maintaining continuity through mixed metal/plastic installations. :confused:

ok guys i know i was just worried about it, i need to read up more but thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back