Earth Rod Inspection Pit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have an earth rod inspection pit to fix, but to do so I need to undo the current connection to the rod. As it's slightly corroded I plan to trim the end of the earth wire & then expose new copper, clean up the clamp & rod with some emery paper and then reassemble. Is this an acceptable practice?

Any other hints & tips welcome.

Thanks

Stephen

Sponsored Links
Yes that is fine, but you must isolate your entire electrical installation, and leave it off for the entire duration of your work. There is a real risk of electrocution if you do this work with the istallation still live.

Thanks RF. Sorry I had forgotten to mention I will turn off the Consumer Unit Isolator before I disconnect the rod. If it's fine tomorrow I'll be out with my spade to dig the hole for the pit out!

Hopefully you're doing this work on the recommendation, and in conjunction with a competent electrician.

Sponsored Links
Yes there was a thread a few weeks ago about an EICR which flagged up the lack of an inspection pit as requiring remedial works, which the OP is now carrying out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back