Earth Rods?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Getting the path down the side of my house block pathed, so rung my mate to come and wire up the earth the new way of doing it, so i can remove the rod and old cable. This is where my prob starts his away till next thursday, path getting starting friday....

Can i remove the rod and leave it for a week till he gets back, no electricity is being used in the house?

If this makes sence :D

Sponsored Links
Only your electricity supplier can connect it to their service, unless they have already made a terminal available for you to connect to?

Sponsored Links
Only your electricity supplier can connect it to their service, unless they have already made a terminal available for you to connect to?

Im not sure, he said he can do i when he had a look at the electric's, his more qualified than you have to be for part p, so guessing he knows what his going on about

Odd comment? - part p is a building regulation. You can comply with it or not comply with it, not complying with it is illegal.

his more qualified than you have to be for part p, so guessing he knows what his going on about

My (non existant) dog is more qualified than you have to be for part p, and he knows sod all about earthing arrangements.

Seriously though, NO.

Do not remove the earth rod until the new earthing has been connected and proved to be sufficient.

Can't you get the block paving chap to leave out a block where the rod is, and pop it in yourself when the earthing has been sorted?

How can a non-existant being know anything?? ;)

Can you post piccys of the meter, supply cables & consumer unit?

Odd comment? - part p is a building regulation. You can comply with it or not comply with it, not complying with it is illegal.

Opps sorry, wrong thing cant remember what it is now, i know his highly qualifed tho

Here's a pic of all the fuse boxes, Yes there out of date and yes it is going to be re-wired.....

DSC00613.jpg

Just put an inspection pit over the existing earth rod, they're not particularly unsightly and it will still leave the option of converting to PME in the future. Still, would be very useful if you could post a picture of your service head, then we can tell you if it'll be safe for joe bloggs to alter your earthing arrangements.

Looks like an old voltage operated ELCB which hasn't been recognised by the regs since early 1980s iirc. It is recommended to have it replaced for a more modern current operated RCD.
Can you do a close up of the box to the far left on the same board as the meter - this is the DNOs cutout? If there is a means of earthing available then there will be a terminal on here.
Is it an overhead supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back