Earth Rods?

Red tail from the left of the cutout looks to feed straight into the henley below the meter, which supplies the bottom fusebox.

Sponsored Links
Thats the only pic i got at the mo, as im not living there. Yes it is overhead power supply.

Complete re-wire, new CU, all updated,etc is on the list of things to do, just getting round to it.

Getting drive done, then a interal wall being knocked down, then its electric's or plumbing!

Red tail from the left of the cutout looks to feed straight into the henley below the meter, which supplies the bottom fusebox.

Looks like it might do a curl then go up, the wire to the henley might be a different one from a similar location which is what makes me think there may be another meter above.

Sponsored Links
Thats the only pic i got at the mo, as im not living there. Yes it is overhead power supply.

Complete re-wire, new CU, all updated,etc is on the list of things to do, just getting round to it.

Getting drive done, then a interal wall being knocked down, then its electric's or plumbing!

I am thinking it is unlikely that you can have an earth supplied from your electric board hence find out exactly what this person is wanting to do. Like I said before only the electric board can install a terminal to allow you to connect an earth to their system, might not be available as you are on an over head system. My first thoughts are you will probably find you will need to remain with a TT system where the earth is supplied by the earth electrode.
You could do with an overhaul of the consumer units tho, like I said the VO ELCB should be replaced.

I am thinking it is unlikely that you can have an earth supplied from your electric board hence find out exactly what this person is wanting to do. Like I said before only the electric board can install a terminal to allow you to connect an earth to their system, might not be available as you are on an over head system. My first thoughts are you will probably find you will need to remain with a TT system where the earth is supplied by the earth electrode.
You could do with an overhaul of the consumer units tho, like I said the VO ELCB should be replaced.

I leave it then, sounds safer haha, yes its all being updated as soon as i get the money to do so

What size cable is going from the ELCB to the elctrode at the moment? How is it installed? Might be worth checking as it may be a bit on the small size for direct burial in the ground, if so it might be an idea to replace or at least run it in before they lay the path!

its about 5mm thinkness if that helps.

Trust my mate to work away the week i need him

Could you install a conduit for a new cable to be pulled in if needs be?

You can get a nice neat earth rod pit from here, for not too much money.

The best and neatest soloution IMO. :)

How substantial is the metal tube? If it is strongenough to provide mechanical protection for the cable then the existing cable should be fine left as is.

tube is gone, it was rusted to bits and most of it fell off! i have got some metal tubing in the loft which should do the job?

Run a placcy tube to it, then run a 16mm green/yellow wire from the fuse board location to it. Leave both ends ready to be terminated.

VOELCB's deleted from 15th in 1985.

Just found reference to current-operated ELCB's in the 14th!!

D24. A CO-ELCB shall be used only where the product of its operating current in amperes and the ELI in ohms does not exceed 40. Where such a CB is used, the consumer's earthing terminal shall be connected to a suitable earth electrode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back