Earth sleeving Screwfix or toolstation

When I moved into mine some 42 years ago, all the earths were in black sleeving. It took me a fair bit of time to sort out all the neutral - earth cross connections. :giggle:

Sponsored Links
German appliances around the 1940's use Red for the Earth conductor, The Brown earth wire could have been originally Red that discoloured to become brown.
It wasn’t. I seem to remember a label saying brown earth. Next time I go to the loft (soon for Xmas tree) I will check it out.

It wasn’t. I seem to remember a label saying brown earth.
Winston1 maybe you did but you are wrong to say
It wasn’t.

1950's and a neighbour asked my dad to look at a washing machine that their soldier son had obtained in Germany,

It was the red wire that my continuity testing indicated as being connected to the metal work of the washing machine.

I did some work in a friend's house in Hamburg in 2003. There were red earth cables in the fixed wiring.

Sponsored Links
When I moved into this house one socket had a piece of black sleeving over one earth wire and a piece of red sleeving over the other earth wire. Whoever installed it apparently didn't have any sleeving and just used a bit of red and black stripped off the line and neutral. :rolleyes:
Unfortunately it's not that uncommon.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back