Earth sleeving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I see numerous posts of how 'cowboys' have not put sleeving on the earth wire. What purpose is the sleeving for? I presume it can't be there just to identify the earth wire. Likewise, if it is very important that it should be used why isn't it fitted as standard like the live and neutral.

Sponsored Links
It is used for identification purposes and to insulate it from the other conductors when it is stuffed into the backbox.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine reason for it not being insulated within the cable, but I always assumed it was so that a fault (nail through cable for instance) would short L/N - E and cause the protective device to open. If the CPC was insulated then the damaged cable could go unnoticed and leave the nail/screw live. This is just my theory though and could be absolute bollerks. ;)

added to Davys post.....It's slightly less expensive and easier to produce T&E plus it's smaller than three cables all with insulation too

The earths are sleeved in Australia. Do they know something we don't?

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
It is used for identification purposes and to insulate it from the other conductors when it is stuffed into the backbox.

I'm not sure if this is a genuine reason for it not being insulated within the cable, but I always assumed it was so that a fault (nail through cable for instance) would short L/N - E and cause the protective device to open. If the CPC was insulated then the damaged cable could go unnoticed and leave the nail/screw live. This is just my theory though and could be absolute bollerks. ;)

this is the correct answer

also worth noteing is earth should link metal back box and socket earths
to completely protect yourself

megawatt said:
They know how to chill beer :LOL:

Only because they don't know how to brew beer that doesn't need chilling to be drinkable... :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back