Twin + Earth - no sleeve on earth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi DIYers!

I’ve recently been doing some DIY electrical work and have, of course used earth sleeve on my Twin + Earth cables.

But here’s something I’ve always wondered - why do they not just supply the cable with earth already sleeved? Three core flex has the earth wire sleeved, so why not T+E? Is there a reason for it?

Sponsored Links
Also it is not necessary; T&E is flat with the CPC in the middle so it's not like flex.

I’ve recently been doing some DIY electrical work and have, of course used earth sleeve on my Twin + Earth cables.
What about asking why it is necessary to sleeve it?

Sponsored Links
It all adds up.
United Airlines used to run a competition for ideas.
One employee suggested using thinner paper for the inflight magazines.
The tiny weight change save 170,000 gallons of fuel ($290,000 a year)

And that’s the only reason? Well they do say that money makes the world go round, don’t they?
There's one other possible reason that I've heard suggested, although I have no idea as to whether there is any truth in it ... by having the earth wire bare, and between the (insulated) L and N conductors, then should the insulation of either of the others become damaged, the L (or N) conductor is more likely to come into contact with the earth one, and cause a protect device to operate (blow a fuse or 'trip' an MCB or RCD).

Kind Regards, John

There's one other possible reason that I've heard suggested, although I have no idea as to whether there is any truth in it ... by having the earth wire bare, and between the (insulated) L and N conductors, then should the insulation of either of the others become damaged, the L (or N) conductor is more likely to come into contact with the earth one, and cause a protect device to operate (blow a fuse or 'trip' an MCB or RCD).

Kind Regards, John
That’s an interesting suggestion, and rather a logical one too!

Have they always had that or did they have a good reason to change?
Dunno - but I suspect that, like much of the world, they probably initially just 'followed the UK'.

As for 'reasons', who knows? AS far as safety issue are concerned, the only think I can think of is what I've already mentioned, and that would seem to favour having a bare CPC.

Of course, at least now, Eire doesn't seem to like/'allow' over-sleeving at terminations, so maybe it's just that they didn't like the idea of G/Y sleeving at then ends?

Kind Regards, John

Have they always had that or did they have a good reason to change?
The Free State changed in September 2017 to full size, insulated protective conductors. That said, not all sizes previously tallied with BS cable - e.g. 16mm^2 T&E had a 10mm^2 protective conductor for the I.S. version rather than 6mm^2. It has since changed again that all cables must be a minimum of Dca, -s2, d2, a2 - so essentially to be simplistic about it LS0H.

Dunno - but I suspect that, like much of the world, they probably initially just 'followed the UK'.

As for 'reasons', who knows? AS far as safety issue are concerned, the only think I can think of is what I've already mentioned, and that would seem to favour having a bare CPC.

Of course, at least now, Eire doesn't seem to like/'allow' over-sleeving at terminations, so maybe it's just that they didn't like the idea of G/Y sleeving at then ends?

Kind Regards, John
Nothing to do with reidentifying conductors, which has always been prohibited.

Hi DIYers!

But here’s something I’ve always wondered - why do they not just supply the cable with earth already sleeved? Three core flex has the earth wire sleeved, so why not T+E? Is there a reason for it?
Manufacturing costs most I would expect, also overall size of cable reduced making installation easier. Its not a live conductor, doesnt require double insulation so why insulate and sheath it if it doesnt have to have it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back