Earth sleeving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When did the requirement to sleeve the bare CPC come in was it the 14th edition ? I know ive seen a few installs with green sleeving.

Sponsored Links
The colour green was admissable until 31 dec 1977.

Not too sure an actual reg exists,does it. :?:
It may help to comply with other regs though.

The colour g/y is reserved for earth, but I am not sure earth HAS to be g/y if that makes sense :confused:
Earth bars are usually bare.

Sponsored Links
I asked because i know of a spark who goes round not sleeving bare CPCs and his excuse is that it was not required in the 15th edition and he trained to those regs.

1. It was a requirement of the 15th, I'm sure. I trained to the 15th and I sleeve cpc's.

2. It doesn't matter even if it were not a requirement of the 15th - it is now & he should be working to current editions. F'kin dinosaur... :evil:

1. It was a requirement of the 15th, I'm sure. I trained to the 15th and I sleeve cpc's.

Same here, the 16th became current as I finished college (1991).
Throughout my apprenticeship I didn't once not sleeve a CPC nor work with an electrician who didn't sleeve CPC's.

It all comes under Identification of conductors, if a conductor is to be used as a CPC then it should be identifiable by the colour`s green and yellow and im not 100% sure on this but i think in 3 phase systems that the use of alphanumerical identification is not allowed on cpc`s and they,like single phase must be colour identifiable.

I saw a black earth sleeve in a socket I loosened off the wall the other week.

That would sure confuse a DIYer :LOL:

Seen a shed load of cookers with black heat-shrink (the word YONGLI gives it away) over the CPC.

Is sleeving really that expensive?

It must be, the number of sockets I see with the cpc's twisted together and sleeved with a single G/Y. Same in light switches.

IT MAKES ME MAD! :evil:

I asked because i know of a spark who goes round not sleeving bare CPCs and his excuse is that it was not required in the 15th edition and he trained to those regs.
THE 14TH with 1976 amendments
reg B5
bare conductors shall be made identifiable---- colours prescribed in table B.4A
Table B.4A earthing green/yellow or green until 31.dec.1977

The 15th with 1984 amendments 524-3
bare conductors shall be made identifiable ----colours prescribed in table 52A
Table 52A protective conductor--green and yellow

The 16th became 514-06-03

The 17th became 514.4.6

Earth sleeving was always one of the options to comply since at least 1977.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back