When did earth sleeving become the norm?

the fact that a colour is formally defined not provide any guarantees as to how the public will perceive it
Do you think the authors of the BS, Pantone, etc ignored the colour response of the typical human eye?

Sponsored Links
Do you think the authors of the BS, Pantone, etc ignored the colour response of the typical human eye?
Nope, but if they believed that offered any guarantees as regards the perception of all observers, I suspect that there were sadly mistaken. In any event, you continue to quibble. I have agreed with you that the conductor identification colours specified in BS7671 should be defined by reference to an appropriate Standard, and I have agreed with you that, in any event, identification of conductors by colour alone is less than ideal.

Kind Regards, John

I agree, you have. I don't believe that they offer any guarantee of how those colours are perceived, but I'm sure they will be more generally recognised as the colours they are claimed to be than, say, the Dulux colour chart. So, we are in agreement.

I agree, you have. I don't believe that they offer any guarantee of how those colours are perceived, but I'm sure they will be more generally recognised as the colours they are claimed to be than, say, the Dulux colour chart. So, we are in agreement.
Yes, we agree.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Talking of colours, I have noticed the green change throughout the years.

The solid green of the 60's was a lighter shade, then later solid green and early green/ yellow was a darker shade, now it's lighter again.
Have you also noticed that since the introduction of green/yellow striped, in most cases the proportion of yellow in relation to green seems to have increased considerably? Older insulation/sleeving was often mostly green with a yellow stripe, or perhaps 50/50. These days it seems more often to be yellow with a green stripe. (I believe the specified limit is for the smaller of the two areas to be no less than 30%.)

The green on a lot of cordage over here is a nice light green:

DSCN3795.jpg

Doesn't that just argue in favour of the idea of BS 7671 defining "red" to mean a particular standard colour or range of colours...Pantone, whatever?

What's poncy shampoo got to do with it?

PBC: you've got a desk like mine! Is it made from American oak?

Yup! From the basic standard, IEC 60445:
The colour combination green-and-yellow shall be such that, on any 15 mm length of the
conductor where colour coding is applied, one of these colours covers at least 30 % and not
more than 70 % of the surface of the conductor, the other colour covering the remainder of
that surface.

I have to say that it would seem a bit odd to use two different colours, since that would tend to imply a difference between the two conductors which doesn't exist, electrically speaking.
I don't think the list in that table implies any need to use two different colors. As you say, for a "floating" 2-wire circuit it's unlikely to be of any importance which way round anything on it is connected. If it were some sort of bigger project with multiple such supplies, I might be inclined to use different colors for different systems, say orange for 24V, turquoise for 12V etc.

I don't think the list in that table implies any need to use two different colors.
It doesn't (and I wouldn't!) - I was commenting on the examples you offered, not the Table!
As you say, for a "floating" 2-wire circuit it's unlikely to be of any importance which way round anything on it is connected. If it were some sort of bigger project with multiple such supplies, I might be inclined to use different colors for different systems, say orange for 24V, turquoise for 12V etc.
Agreed.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back