Earthing inside a box

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm making up a little gadget that is to be plugged into the mains, and, therefore, needs to be earthed inside the box I am enclosing it in. In case you are wondering, there will be mains cable in, and a mains lead out on extension leads. Twoearth wires, in other words.

I am planning on bringing the earth wires together in a terminal block of some kind, and bonding this block to the inside of the plastic case.

Question: I have seen four wire earth terminals - are there any out there for two wires?

Question: Is it possible to buy a long strip of bus bar-type earth that I can cut to my requirements?

Question: I have also seen a sort of clamp that presses down on the wires - any ideas where this might be available?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Since the box is plastic there's absolutely no need to earth the box.

You will need to allow earth continuity between the mains in and the cabled mains out. Terminal block, crimped earths on eyelets and a bolt / nut to join them.

A tidy way to do it would be

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Cable_Accessories_Index/Wago/index.html

Google Wago and they will send some samples, more than enough to do the job and no cost :D

I am planning on bringing the earth wires together in a terminal block of some kind, and bonding this block to the inside of the plastic case.
[paraphrase]I don't have a clue about what components are available or suitable.[/paraphrase]
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=244024

Hang on! So what you're saying is that I could just drill a hole in the wall, remove the plug from an extension socket of say three or four sockets, pass the cable through from outside (via this sealed box), re-attach the plug and plug into a socket inside the house?

¡No need for an electrician!

I'm making up a little gadget that is to be plugged into the mains,
Please don't.

Sponsored Links
Use a four way that you have seen and through away the spare hole. ( or leave it empty )
See what I mean?

ff - your basic gumption isn't enough for you to be doing this. Add in your general lack of electrical experience and attitude to quality and I really don't think you should be making "gadgets" that use lethal voltages.

Use a four way that you have seen and through away the spare hole. ( or leave it empty )
See what I mean?

ff - your basic gumption isn't enough for you to be doing this. Add in your general lack of electrical experience and attitude to quality and I really don't think you should be making "gadgets" that use lethal voltages.
Mind your own business. I wasn't asking you anyway, you should know that by now.

I am NOT an electrician

I hardly ever comment in the electrical section

BUT - to fridgefreezer

You have clearly demonstrated a totally dangerous and incompetant lack of even the simplest knowledge of electrics!

I can now finally understand why regulations like PartP were introduced...

....the trouble is it wont be you or one of your family that dies, it will be the poor sod who buys your house off you. Just this week two racehorses died due to someones incompetance.

Please take advice and DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF

there are a lot of people who have a degree of knowledge, who, with a little advice, can safely complete electrical work, those people tend to get that advice from people on this site who willingly spare a little time to answer questions in a bid to help.
please don't be offended by the advice you are now being given, it is based on the fact that you do not "appear" to have the basic knowledge required judging by your questions

I am NOT an electrician

I hardly ever comment in the electrical section

BUT - to fridgefreezer

You have clearly demonstrated a totally dangerous and incompetant lack of even the simplest knowledge of electrics!

I can now finally understand why regulations like PartP were introduced...

....the trouble is it wont be you or one of your family that dies, it will be the poor s** who buys your house off you. Just this week two racehorses died due to someones incompetance.

Please take advice and DO NOT DO THIS YOURSELF

Since when has Part P of the building regulations covered a PLUG IN item?

Since the box is plastic there's absolutely no need to earth the box.

Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, I don't think he was necessarily trying to 'earth' the plastic (and assuming the plastic box is non-conducting of course)

@ Gees - dont encourage him (?)

@ Fridgefreezer...

I cant believe I am falling for your wind ups...

But OK I will bite....

the PartP is irrelevant other than I was trying to explain (rather badly) that idiots like you are the reason that regulations are quite rightly getting more stringent

You have asked for advice and recieved it. Even Ban was quite pleasant. You have been advised that you are not competant to do this. Clearly this has upset you.

attempting to score points however will not change the fact that you seem hell bent on killing someone. Why do you expect anyone on here to become an acomplise to your actions?

God help your family if this is your attitude

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back