Earthing Light switches?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking for a little help, a family member who is selling a house has been told that most of the light switches have no earth. These are metal back boxes, plastic face plates and of course metal screws. The switches are wired using singles, but not in conduit, so running an earth cable would involve digging into the (newly decorated) walls.
Could the metal back boxes be replaced with plastic to avoid this?
If not, then is the work notifiable (Part P - confusing)?

Thanks.

PS. Have spent a few hours searching through your site before posting, but do apologize if I missed the answer. :oops:

Sponsored Links
have they had the rest of the electrics checked? sounds like a possible complete re-wire.

I hope these singles are double insulated singles, anyway I expect its about time for a lighting re-wire... having no earth on lights dates the circuit to before about the mid '60s.... (you really should have considered this before decorating :cry: )

Anyway, the answer you are looking for, in the short term to make the circuit compliant in this respect you can buy nylon m3.5 switch screws

Thanks for replies.
Like I said it's not my house, just doing 'the leg work'. Gonna look into the nylon screw option.
(BTW cables are double insulated and in good condition from what I saw :) )

Sponsored Links
The buyer will very likely want to redecorate to his own taste, and may well want to have the house rewired.

I doubt money spent on the old lighting circuit will be repaid in an increased sale price.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back