Earthing Sockets

Spark, have you not been reading this thread or is it just a case of jumping on the band wagon in the first instance you see something you don't agree with?

Dingbat said:
they refer to the subject under debate as the earthing of flush metal accessory boxes and have determined that flush metal accessory boxes should be considered to be exposed-conductive-parts and connected to the main earthing terminal by means of a circuit protective conductor. Then, of course, they go on to say that this can be satisfactorily achieved by using the fixing screws as long as one of the lugs is fixed...

What do they call the protective conductor that connects the exposed conductive part (box) to exposed conductive part (earth terminal inc. its metallic parts)? It's supplementary bonding surely?

Sorry for late reply to this. I only usually browse here during work hours :D

Sponsored Links
Yes I have been reading the posts, and stand firm with what I said. If the back box is inaccessible and has one fixed lug then I don't care if it is earthed or not with a flylead.

If on the other hand it is accessible then it must be properly earthed.

The flylead will be a circuit protective conductor.

Ok, no worries. NICEIC say one thing you say another which made me ask whether you had read this thread fully.

Would you point me in the right direction where the fly lead is referred to as a cpc please?

Would you point me in the right direction where the fly lead is referred to as a cpc please?
Reg 411.4.2 & 411.5.1

If you look up GN1, the IEE/IET refer to it as earthing, not bonding and so does NICEIC Snags & Solutions Part 1 (Snag 21)

The term 'earthing tail' is used and, by definition, the conductor carrying out the function of earthing - as distinct from bonding - on the installation side of the MET is called the circuit protective conductor.

Sponsored Links
Reg 411.4.2 & 411.5.1

If you look up GN1, the IEE/IET refer to it as earthing, not bonding and so does NICEIC Snags & Solutions Part 1 (Snag 21)

The term 'earthing tail' is used and, by definition, the conductor carrying out the function of earthing - as distinct from bonding - on the installation side of the MET is called the circuit protective conductor.

I agree that the conductor carries out the function of earthing - but the backbox is surely bonded! Having said that why do we call the cables connecting the gas and water back to MET - the main bonding conductors?

If there is no reason to use fly leads for metal back boxes, why do the manufacturers put them in - one less bit of brass would save them a few bob. Where the metal back box is exposed shouldn't we be using plastic?

If there is no reason to use fly leads for metal back boxes, why do the manufacturers put them in - one less bit of brass would save them a few bob.

Because you need somewhere to terminate the earth when using light switches.

If there is no reason to use fly leads for metal back boxes, why do the manufacturers put them in - one less bit of brass would save them a few bob.

Sorry about that - I thought we were talking about the flyleads and back boxes for sockets.

Sorry about that - I thought we were talking about the flyleads and back boxes for sockets.

The boxes are the same whether you're fitting sockets, FCUs, light switches, dimmers, bigger switches, blank plates.. ;)

The boxes are the same whether you're fitting sockets, FCUs, light switches, dimmers, bigger switches, blank plates.. ;)

No I don't tend to fit double backplate boxes for light switches, FCU's etc - I fit singles for them. ;)

I've double checked the title of this thread definitely 'earthing sockets' not sure where light switches have come from.

MKK4874.JPG

They need them for the big clumpy monkeh fingers :D

**small print - only referring to the poster's name above and in no way referring to Corwallians being monkeys or having hands with chimps fingers

8)

You should all come on our two-day Earthing & Bonding seminar.

Any lingering doubts, problems, queries, questions, gripes and disagreements can be sorted out at the course review... in the pub car park, about 11pm, day two.

;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back