Earthing Sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got an electician in today to do some additional sockets and he has informed me that some of the original sockets are not earthed. He siad where metal boxes are used the socket should be earthed to the box but they aren't. Haven't looked at them all but I'm presuming its the same with all of them. I've only recently got the house and its a new build with certificate and everyting. Is it compulsary that they should be earthed?

Sponsored Links
As long as the socket itself is earthed then the earth connection to the back box is made through the screws.
Linking the metal back box earth terminal to the socket is something I do as a matter of course but it is more belt and braces.

Presuming that the earth for the circuit is connected to the socket front, and all that is missing is a link to the back box, then you have nothing to worry about.

It is considered good practice to fit this link, but it is not a requirement of BS7671, assuming your back box has at least one fixed lug. It certainly isn't dangerous to omit this link.

As far as I can make out from your post, the issue that has been identifed is that of missing flyleads between box and socket?

You should be aware that it is permissiable to earth the box from the socket (but NOT vice versa) via the plate screws providing there is at least one fixed lug and we are talking about flush K/O boxes, not surface M/C boxes, etc

While its good practice to install the link even if its not strictly needed, its not often done these days.

Sponsored Links
Yes it is.

If it is not needed, there is no practical reason to do it. ("Because we always do it" isn't a good reason.)

neck on line.... i guess the box is earthed when you remove the screws.

And when live cores fall out of sockets in metal back boxes it's a good thing for the metal to be earthed.

If it is not needed, there is no practical reason to do it. ("Because we always do it" isn't a good reason.)

It may not be needed in normal conditions but consider the abnormal fault conditions that might occur.

Consider a wall prone to dampness. corroded screws and the back box is not longer properly earthed. Live conductor fails and comes in contact with the un-earthed back box. This provides a large area of live metal in contact with the damp wall, large area = reduced impedence so the wall is live to the touch.

I have seen a socket where some numpty had replaced the screws with nylon screws to cure a fault of fuses blowing when a damaged live conductor was making contact with the back box.

neck on line.... i guess the box is earthed when you remove the screws.

Did you never hear about safe isolation??.
Do you really go around removing sockets with the power still switched on :?: :rolleyes:

taylortooshitty, do you ever reply without being obnoxious/patronising?

to answer your question i am very aware of isolation. plenty of decorators on site dont.

Yes it is.

I don't see any reason to do it, nor not do it. I certainly wouldn't be too fussed either way. Personally I like to see the back boxes earthed with a flylead but that is a matter of opinion rather than a reg. Where a metal back box is accessible however it is a must.

taylortooshitty, do you ever reply without being obnoxious/patronising?

Yes of course.
But I'll have a dig if someone forgets that this is a forum meant for DIYers and suggests something that might put the "uninitiated" at risk.

You can remove your neck from the line now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back