earthing texecom dialler

phone providers have them in the exchange

And in the NTE5 backplate (or similar) - so if the alarm is being fitted after this master socket (hint, it's illegal to fit it before unless to a pair of terminals provided by BT Openreach for anything on the BT network, although seems to happen quite a lot anwyay with alarms) you don't need to worry about it.

Sponsored Links
phone providers have them in the exchange

And in the NTE5 backplate (or similar) - so if the alarm is being fitted after this master socket (hint, it's illegal to fit it before unless to a pair of terminals provided by BT Openreach for anything on the BT network, although seems to happen quite a lot anwyay with alarms) you don't need to worry about it.
sorry you have lost me a bit here! :confused:
I think I know what you mean ( I dont need to earth it because its already protected at the master socket) which begs the question why do they ask to earth the dialler :?:

They want you to earth it to enable the lightning arrestor in the dialler to protect the dialler - as it's already (presumably) protected by something else, you don't need to worry about it.

Sponsored Links
They want you to earth it to enable the lightning arrestor in the dialler to protect the dialler - as it's already (presumably) protected by something else, you don't need to worry about it.
well its a new build and should be!
thanks for that, I wont do out then ;)

The arrester in the exchange will only protect against surges between the two phone wires. It will not provide any protection against surges between the phone wires and ground.

Presumablly this is why the manufacturer of the alarm dialler wants an earth.

they want you to earth it because there isnt enough seperation on the pbc between the alarm components and the phone line components - if the kit asks for an earth it GETS an earth

verb.......? man just move the dialler back to the alarm panel position and use the cable that was triggering the dialler to carry the phoneline back to the diallers new position

Easy solution :)
yes but not where I wanted it. bottom line is I shoud have put an earth cable in when I had the chance.
did put this topic :cry: on the forum a few days ago but got no response, when I had time to route a cable.

no!

its the wrong cicuit.

dont earth it, would be an easier option. most dont, it will still work with out it
what if the alarm panel is powered from that same lighting circuit from an fsu?( I know of alarm companys which take a spur off lighting circuits) :?:

As I said before, if the earth is only to protect the dialler from surges on the telephone circuit, you don't need it unless you are taking the phone feed straight of the a and b legs (which you shouldn't do!)

As I said before, if the earth is only to protect the dialler from surges on the telephone circuit, you don't need it unless you are taking the phone feed straight of the a and b legs (which you shouldn't do!)

it isnt - its needed because alarm cables are only rated to 50v

I'm at a total loss to understand all this, the TEXECOM MANUAL SAYS >>

Quote " Failure to fit an earth cable may prevent proper operation of the system and will invalidate the Texecom warranty and product approval. "

Product approval, that's what Texexom have to get to be allowed to manufacture equipment that will be connected to the telephone network.

Texecom warranty, if something happens with your dialler and you send it back to Texecom for repair under the warranty, they WILL be able to tell if the unit was connected to the mains earth or not if there had been a problem with lightning.

The above speaks for its self, it needs to be earthed, MAINS EARTH, using the correct cable, NOT alarm cable.

If this is a problem for you get an electrician in.

If you don't earth the unit and there is a problem, you only have yourself to blame.

I know these units will work without the earth connection, but is it worth the risk? The lightning strike could be 1\2 mile away and you none the wiser but the dialler has been damaged.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back