earthing texecom dialler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
bought a texecom speech dialler, installation manual states that it must be earthed!
E-mailed texecom several times and got no reply (they must only reply to registered pros :rolleyes: ?)
do I just use a spare core on the alarm cable and earth it at the panel? or what?

Sponsored Links
It appears to be an earth connection for the telephone part of the dialler, rather than the alarm part.

I would think you should take a 1.5mm² earth wire from this terminal to the earth connection of the FCU which supplies the alarm panel.

I will try and e-mail texecom on your behalf and see if I can get a definitive answer out of them.

only a guess, but i would say the dialer has ligtning aresstors and these need to be earthed in order to work properly

It appears to be an earth connection for the telephone part of the dialler, rather than the alarm part.

I would think you should take a 1.5mm² earth wire from this terminal to the earth connection of the FCU which supplies the alarm panel.

I will try and e-mail texecom on your behalf and see if I can get a definitive answer out of them.
yes at the telephone side, terminals are all small for low voltage cable.
thanks for trying to contact texecom, hope you have better luck than me :D .
surely someone out there installs loads of them each year and do other diallers need earthed?

Sponsored Links
as i said it probably has lightening aresstors which need to be eathed in order to work properly.

most digital communicators and red cares have an earth terminal which should be earthed for reasons i already gave.

as i said it probably has lightening aresstors which need to be eathed in order to work properly.

most digital communicators and red cares have an earth terminal which should be earthed for reasons i already gave.
yes thats fair enough but where do i earth it and with what cable. I want to know the exact way the texecom installers do it or texecom recommend.
:?: thanks for your input by the way ;)

As already suggested, a 1.5mm² earth wire from the Dialler to the incoming Mains Earth connection at the control panel

texecom will say a 1 mm csa earth wire connected to the incoming mains earth terminal.

i should expalin why though.

in a lightning storm lightning will strike wher ever. it will no doubt at some point be near a phone line.
this will induce a very high voltage in the line.
the voltage will travel up (and down) the line dmagaing anything that can not "handle it" (your dialer) so to combat this it has lightning arrestors, but these need to be earthed to work.

phone providers have them in the exchange

Usually texecom technical are pretty good, but I've not heard anything yet.

I'll let you know as soon as I hear anything. :)

texecom will say a 1 mm csa earth wire connected to the incoming mains earth terminal.

i should expalin why though.

in a lightning storm lightning will strike wher ever. it will no doubt at some point be near a phone line.
this will induce a very high voltage in the line.
the voltage will travel up (and down) the line dmagaing anything that can not "handle it" (your dialer) so to combat this it has lightning arrestors, but these need to be earthed to work.

phone providers have them in the exchange
whats a csa cable?
could I earth it to the light switch beside the dialler as I now have no way to route a cable. walls now plastered and ceilings boarded :oops:
oh I do have spare cores on alarm cable and phone cable.

csa = cross sectional area (the size of the cable)

to do it properly to avoid voiding the g'tee you must use a 1mm earth wire connected to the earth terminal on the mains incoming terminal block on the alarm panel

if you chosse to use one of the alarm cores that is up to you.

csa = cross sectional area (the size of the cable)

to do it properly to avoid voiding the g'tee you must use a 1mm earth wire connected to the earth terminal on the mains incoming terminal block on the alarm panel

if you chosse to use one of the alarm cores that is up to you.
whats your thoughts on the earth of the light switch? its right beside it easy to connect and surely an earth is an earth they all terminate at the same place on the fuse board :rolleyes: thanks for your input.
while your there any chance I could borrow your ladder for half an hour or so ;)

no!

its the wrong cicuit.

dont earth it, would be an easier option. most dont, it will still work with out it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back