Ease of converting standard downlights (GU10) to fire-rated

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I recently had a minor electrical installation and they wrote on the certificate that the downlights in the living room were not fire rated and should be changed (i only saw this when the NECIEC certificate arrived).

So, i figure I should get this done but wanted to know how easy the job is? Will i need to cut new holes or take up floorboards or can I just remove the downlights by pulling them down out of the ceiling holes and changing in situ?

Many thanks.
J

Sponsored Links
They can be replaced from below.

However, why do they need to be fire ratted? What is above the living room?

Hi, above half of the living room is a flat roof and above the other half is the living room of another flat (though the lights are in an additional suspended ceiling).

There are only 2 floors and I am in the ground floor flat.

I did not ask any more about it as i only saw it on the certificate notes which arrived a few weeks later. That said, i have the certificate for minor work and i thought it was not really a problem, just a recommendation right? or does the fact it appears on notes mean it must be carried out?

Sponsored Links
Hi, above half of the living room is a flat roof and above the other half is the living room of another flat (though the lights are in an additional suspended ceiling).
If the lights are in an additional suspended ceiling and in no way affect or compromise the barrier between your room and the flat above, then I would not have thought there would be a requirement for them to be fire-rated - but others may have a more detailed understanding of the regulations than I do.

Kind Regards, John

I also wouldn't have thought there was any requirement to change the lights.

Unless someone has a poor understanding on the term fire rated, and the existing lights are heat damaged, as can very often happen.

Is there a hole in the original ceiling. ?

If there is a hole in the original ceiling then the fire separation between the rooms has been compromised.

The fact that the lights are in a suspended ceiling does not ( normally ) remove the need for a fire proof barrier between the separate flats.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back