easiest question ever for a plumber

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This is the overflow pipe on a toilet. I want to undo the pipe so I can remove the cistern.

"A" moves freely, no problem.
"B" and "C" seem to be stuck together. They do turn in relation to the metal pipe, and when they turn the plastic pipe turns with them.

I don't know which parts I should be turning and don't want to force anything.

What do I do?

Thanks!
Jim

Sponsored Links
Hold B so it can't move and loosen C.

Sponsored Links
Why are you taking the cistern off ? if your putting a new one chances are you wont need the overflow so you can just cut it off.

toilet needs a new syphon which can't be unscrewed from outside the cistern because the cistern butts up right against the pan.

am I doing the right thing to take the cistern off? I can't seem to release the syphon solely from inside.

I get your point about sacrificing the overflow

^^^^^^^^

As Picasso has said, most modern flush valves have "built in Overflow" so if the cistern is overflowing it would be visible in the Toilet Pan.

I would just tighten up the exsisting fittings and fit a new flush valve, Fluidmaster Flapper valve kit,

ae235

No the easiest question for a plumber is "do you want a biscuit with your tea?"

Is this a close coupled cistern that sits on the pan or a low level that sits about 9 inches above it conected by a pipe?
A photo of the syphon and the cistern would help us to advise.

"C" is now out the way.

"B" won't budge from the plastic pipe.

Any tips?

If "C" is out of the way loosen the plastic nut "A" then you should be able to lift the pipe out of "C" then let it soak in plenty of WD 40 then you should be able to move "B" as suggested by footprints

That's exactly what I'm going to do - update the inner workings. I didn't realise there was no need for an overflow with the modern system.

pics below. The issue is I can't see how to get the old syphon out without taking the cistern off because I can't access the underside of the cistern

thanks chaps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back