Easy to crack wifi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was told yesterday that the latest protocols most providers stick to with their internet hubs now make it considerably easier for some one to hack into your internet wirelessly and therefore get a free ride.

To la layman (like me) it revolves around an access code 8 digits long.

Wheras previously you needed to crack it as an 8 digit code (not too many in computer hacking terms but still a task) 100 milion combinations
they changed it to two 4 digit codes - still 8 digits but making it crackable as a 4 digit = 10000 plus another 10000 = 20000 combinations thereby making it easier and quicker to crack.

I am told approx 80% of providers are now using this protocol.

Sponsored Links
Sounds highly unlikely to me, did whoever told you this give you any more details or references?

Hello there, I am like you and don’t like the thought of others using my internet connection so what I have done is on the Router settings you can hide the SSID.
The SSID is basically the name of your wireless connection. You can still use the connection and even still connect to it easley you just have to type in the correct SSID when you first connect after you have done that your wireless equipment can still connect like before.

I hope that this will help you.

Regards Steve

p.s long time listener first time caller :D

Sponsored Links
To la layman (like me) it revolves around an access code 8 digits long.
Wireless access does not require an 8 digit number, or two 4 digits ones. The only place this might be found is on the label on certain routers, the pin being used in combination with pressing a button on the router itself to add a new device to it (assuming that function is enabled or available, which it usually is not).

still 8 digits but making it crackable as a 4 digit = 10000 plus another 10000 = 20000 combinations thereby making it easier and quicker to crack.
It's 10,000 times 10,000, not plus.

Answer - still 100,000,000

Assuming it's decimal, not hex.

Hiding your SSID does nothing.

WPA is virtually uncrackable with the exception of a dictionary attack.

So make your key something more inventive than the name of your kids.

I have taken WPA and WEP networks before (in a lab), WEP takes minutes, don't use it

Neil

For wireless keys its just a simple random hex gen. Not too sophisticated but a shared secret key.

More sophisticated encryption algorithms work it all on very long prime numbers to create a one-time key. The trick is to define the key.
There's lots of ways of doing this - I could tell you a few -but its Friday night and the gin is flowing..

The main point to remember here is that once the WPS pin has been cracked, the router will hand over the WPA key.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back