'Easy' worktop bolts, any good?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they easy or are they ****e?

IMG_0544.PNG

I need to join a breakfast bar to a worktop. They are square edge so I can pull the front trim off the worktop for a smooth join but I don't have the skills or tools to use the normal worktop bolts that go inside.

This is where I'm doing it:

IMG_0543.JPG

IMG_0545.JPG

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Never seen one of those,

It may work for you but the traditional worktop connecting bolts have the advantage of pulling together from the centre and are recessed.

In the past have cut in them traditional bolts by using a 35mm hinge cutter then saw out the slots,then chisel out the grove.

Practice makes perfect.

The problem I see is because they're flush mounted and not sunk in they'll foul the top of your carcass

Sponsored Links
As you don't have a router and jig, I would consider them the next best thing, even though I haven't usd them, but yes, you need to be able to cut out the top of the carcase to accomodate them. Are you going for 2, or 3 though

I would probably use 3 on the 600mm join (which I had forgotten about) and 4 on the 900mm.

Practice would be nice but unfortunately if I balls these up my missus will kill me. I do have an off cut from the chimney breast bit, I might try and sink in a holesaw and then cut a groove with a circular saw. The worktops are 38mm thick so how deep would you go into them?

The carcas tops are 18mm so those easy ones will stick down a further 7mm into the unit.

Is the Colour Fill stuff an adhesive as well as a filler?

On a 38mm worktop, 30mm screws should be fine, and you've got the right number of fittings, so just be aware of where they'll get fitted, so that they dont foul anything inside the carcase, or underneath the joint.

Coulourfill is an adhesive as well as a filler, so good choice.

The real trick here, is can you get hold of a biscuit jointer, as this will not only make the joint more secure, but also stop any movement upwards or downwards on the joint. Place a clamp and a couple of bits of wood either end of the joint, to keep it level as you make the joint.

Assemble the joint, and give it a practice tighten before you apply the colourfil, and that'll check for any errors before you scew things up.

I've got my colourfill and a pack of 10 bolts, I've cut the trims off the front of the worktops so I'm good to go.

I just need to grow a pair before I cut out for the bolts :LOL::LOL:

You may as well crack on as your already halfway there cutting the trim off the front, can't turn back now can you

my thoughts

do not over tighten as you will tend to open the top as you crush and or pivot on the bottom edge and the worktop starts to lift
normal clamps pull the faces together those will only pull on the bottom surface

Last edited:
Agreed and you'll be putting a lot of force on them screws so use the longest ones can, thicker the better

Now we didn't say anything about taking the trim off, did we. Pictures please Ian, I think you've opened up a new can of worms.

Well you haven't got as close a joint as using a router, but you've done pretty well, and hopefully the colourfill will fil the gap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back