Ecoflam Minor 1 Igniting Issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, my oil boiler has had problem igniting, how do i check igniter is working.

I would get a engineer out but the problem i have is i'm in the middle of a extension and had to drain my tank to move it, so at the moment its running from a 25L drum, and a engineer wont entertain it when its not out of a tank (which is fair enough) its defiantly getting oil as i have bled it and its flowing freely, i have changed the nozzle to a new replacement, and i have fitting a new filter.

im confident it is just not igniting , it starts up when you turn it on then locks out after 10 secs.
I'm fairly good with tools as i build engines for a living etc and have all the equipment but is there a quick way to check if the igniter is working?

Sponsored Links
Remove burner and check if it is sparking. Point it in a safe direction.
If there's a solenoid fitted remove coil or unplug it.

As Terry says. But before removing burner, try to start it then check for fuel on the blast tube.

Don't remove the coil if it's connected, it'll probably melt when energised and you won't be able to get it back on the solenoid valve. Unplug it - many have a push fit connector.
Google for the manual for that burner to see where the electrodes should be positioned.
To test the ignition I usually short the terminals in the control box base with insulated long nosed pliers, you could just temporarily wire in a switch. This means the burner doesn't have to be running.

Sponsored Links
Don't remove the coil if it's connected, it'll probably melt when energised and you won't be able to get it back on the solenoid valve..
To test the ignition I usually short the terminals in the control box base with insulated long nosed pliers, you could just temporarily wire in a switch. This means the burner doesn' Unplug it - many have a push fit connector.
Google for the manual for that burner to see where the electrodes should be positionedt have to be running.

FFS the coil will be energised for a few seconds causing no harm.

Meanwhile whilst you are Fookin around with long nose pliers !!!!! Which if you slip or happen to touch something unintentionally will blow chunks off the contacts ! Or wiring a switch which is another waste of time.

The spark would have been checked !!

well I've been a gas/oil engineer since 1996 so I guess I must be doing something right!

You need to test for a spark with the control box in place. A false flame signal will hold off ignition. Depending on the age of the burner, early ones had separate electrodes which were very unreliable. A single block is now the recognised replacement.

Thank you for the replies,
The boiler is in a fairly tight room so taking it out and firing towards somewhere is fairly hard but i will give it a try, i`m confident the oil is spraying as there is fuel on the blast tube.
The boiler is very old, and i know the bearings were noisy on startup i have just been looking there is a direct replacement called Ecoflam Max1 TC which is supposed to be a good upgrade and only about £300 also.might just be worth me getting a new one also , anyone agree?

I will check out the spark as it will annoy me anyway.

You need to test for a spark with the control box in place. A false flame signal will hold off ignition. Depending on the age of the burner, early ones had separate electrodes which were very unreliable. A single block is now the recognised replacement.

Below is the electrodes used.

65320924.jpg

I’m with T on this you could use a small mirror and point the burner into the boiler and check for spark. Bob

If the bearings are noisy on start up then go quiet, there sounds like a problem with the oil pump leaking through the shaft seal. This may also affect the spray pattern. If the pump and motor bearings are shot, then a new burner might be the answer. Don't forget, it needs commissioning properly.

When you reset boiler does it spark first then add oil to ignite or the opposite?

I have boiler out just want to know what to expect first when resetting oil or spark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back