Grant Vortex 15-21 oil boiler not firing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

My boiler has stopped igniting, I've checked the tank and there's plenty of oil (several inches).

Have checked the and loosened bleed screw inside the boiler and oil is flowing freely.

When powered, the pump in the boiler switches on and it just makes repeated clicking sound as though it is trying to ignite but doesn't.

When I first noticed the radiators were cold but the CH pump was running I found the trip in the boiler had triggered, have also reset that. There are no lights or any other indicators except on the main boiler power on/off switch which glows when power is on.

Are there any more checks I can carry out before having to call an engineer out?

thanks

Sponsored Links
Does the burner motor run?
Is the overheat stat lit?
Have you pressed the burner control reset?

Does the burner motor run?
Is the overheat stat lit?
Have you pressed the burner control reset?

Hi

Yes, burner motor runs, overheat stat not lit, pressed burner control reset.

It seems to attempt a restart every 20 seconds or so, each time there is a slight shake of the flexible flue pipe.

thanks

Put a gauge on the pump see if you get 2bar washing pressure if you don't then pumps goosed or take the burner out and see if there is oil on the blast tube which says youre getting oil through but even if you're getting oil through if the pressure ain't there it's no good.Bob

Sponsored Links
Pull out the photo cell and see if it's dirty if it is clean it and put it back then try a start.Bob

Pull out the photo cell and see if it's dirty if it is clean it and put it back then try a start.Bob

Yes photocell is spotlessly clean.

Put a gauge on the pump see if you get 2bar washing pressure if you don't then pumps goosed or take the burner out and see if there is oil on the blast tube which says youre getting oil through but even if you're getting oil through if the pressure ain't there it's no good.

I don't have a gauge or the hands-on skills to follow the rest of your suggestions, I have a reliable engineer that does the annual service, I'll have to admit defeat and hand over to him.

Bit ironic, I only cleaned out the woodburner in the lounge couple of days ago and packed away all the surplus wood as didn't think I'd be needing it again until the autumn :(

Thank you for the advice , much appreciated.

Bob

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back