economy 7 water heater constantly heating water...

It says SSE Superdeal on the meter.

Note the bottom paragraph - so the heating/immersion may just have been on when tested.

upload_2017-10-7_20-31-50.png

Sponsored Links
What is that grey cable for in the meter photo? I'm almost certainly wrong, but it looks like the grey wire bypasses the meter and goes straight to the centre 100A switch marked 25A water heater!

What is that grey cable for in the meter photo? I'm almost certainly wrong, but it looks like the grey wire bypasses the meter and goes straight to the centre 100A switch marked 25A water heater!
Does look suspect. Looks more like it’s coming from the meter N-in terminal than the tamper proof DNO tails

Reading Efli post above it looks like a special 3 rate meter, I wonder if it had an extra output to run the water heater
The op says the boards are new so maybe someone messed up there

Sponsored Links
Does look suspect. Looks more like it’s coming from the meter N-in terminal than the tamper proof DNO tails
It does look like it's coming from the N terminal, I hope that centre switch isn't switching it!

Reading Efli post above it looks like a special 3 rate meter ...
Indeed, and that's because up to two hours of cheap rate for "stored heat and water" can be during the daytime.,
I wonder if it had an extra output to run the water heater
I would say that it must have (for storage heaters as well as hot water) - otherwise it could not meter them separately (I reckon we're a few decades away from having 'smart devices' that can talk to a 'smart meter', so we're currently stuck with having to have one L coming from the meter for each subset of loads one wants to meter separately!).

Kind Regards, John

This evening I was looking thorough an old electrical book describing domestic properties with 3 meters, one for lighting, one for cooking and one for sockets/heating, with a separate fuse box for each one. Let's not go back to that sh*t again.

The one labelled "Water Heater"?

Kind Regards, John
Yes that one.

Indeed, and that's because up to two hours of cheap rate for "stored heat and water" can be during the daytime.,
I would say that it must have (for storage heaters as well as hot water) - otherwise it could not meter them separately (I reckon we're a few decades away from having 'smart devices' that can talk to a 'smart meter', so we're currently stuck with having to have one L coming from the meter for each subset of loads one wants to meter separately!).

Kind Regards, John
The red cable marked O/P is i assume for the storage heaters, the red cable marked 4 for the normal supply and a 3rd grey cable just for the water heater, what i was getting at was maybe there was a 3rd 20 amp CU just for the off peak water heater and now its bunched in one of the 2 new boards

This meter only has 2 outputs though. With 3 rates, a high and low 24hr and a switched low for O/P.

You could be right! What are the odds that I checked it when that 2h was on!
Assuming that you knew it wasn't between midnight and 7am, the probability of that happening out to be 1 in 8.5 (2 hours out of 17) - or, if you are a betting person, 'odds' of 7.5 to 1 !

Kind Regards, John

The red cable marked O/P is i assume for the storage heaters, the red cable marked 4 for the normal supply and a 3rd grey cable just for the water heater ...
As Echo has said, it would seem that there are only two outputs - and, indeed, that's all that is need for the functionality that EFLI posted.

I presume that the black is a neutral (probably for everything other than storage+water heaters) which just goes 'straight through' that switch enclosure. We can only guess what the smaller grey one is, but I would think the most likely is probably that it is a second neutral (probably for the storage+water heaters) which, again, just goes 'straight through' the enclosure.

Kind Regards, John

I looked up "code 52 (South) Superdeal Tariff" and it seems 10 hours split so I think this is what we call Economy 10 not 7? Not sure what times it switches on and off, but it could be doing what it should do?

I looked up "code 52 (South) Superdeal Tariff" and it seems 10 hours split so I think this is what we call Economy 10 not 7? Not sure what times it switches on and off, but it could be doing what it should do?
Interesting, that's very different from what EFLI. That is very clear in talking about 7 hours off-peak rate - midnight-7am for everything other that storage+water heaters and, for the latter, 5-7 hours between midnight and 7am and up to 2 hours at other times.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back