economy 7 water heater constantly heating water...

Reading it did seem "code 52 (South) Superdeal Tariff" varies according to areas and there were a few different deals which seemed to use same reference code. But in all cases it seemed it did refer to 10 hours with two on periods. In some cases it seemed to be linked to weather rather than fixed time. Since I don't use electric for heating and live about as North as you can get in Wales I am not really that clued up on the tariff.

Sponsored Links
Well, there are two lights on the meter/switch, A and B. If it works when A is on and also when B is on then there's a problem. Those should indicate which tariff is in use.

Well, there are two lights on the meter/switch, A and B. If it works when A is on and also when B is on then there's a problem. Those should indicate which tariff is in use.

Hi John.
At 4pm there were no lights on the meter, at 5:30pm there was a red B light on. Cylinder came on on both those occasions. What does that mean?
IMG_1698.JPG
IMG_1699.JPG

I suggest you turn off the MCB marked water heater on your 24/7 board (the left hand CU), and then see what happens.

Do you, by any chance, have a voltage tester?

Sponsored Links
I'm not so sure about that. If the tariff is per what EFLI posted, there are four possible situations ...

1... Day rate 'main' electricity, storage/water heaters off
2... Day rate 'main' electricity', storage/water heaters on (for up to two hours during day) at 'night rate'
3... Night rate 'main' electricity, storage/water heaters on for 5-7 hours during the off-peak period (also at 'night rate')
4... Night rate 'main' electricity, storage/water heaters off for up to 2 hours during the off-peak period

... but only two lights. I suspect that they don't bother to distinguish between 3 and 4 but, to represent the three situations (1, 2 & 3+4) with two lights, they presumably must use 'no lights on' (or, I suppose, 'both lights on' - but that could be confusing) for one of those three states - I imagine probably (1). If that is true then the water/storage heaters could be on when either of the other two lights (corresponding to 2 and 3) were lit.

Kind Regards, John

you need to contact your electricity supplier and ask what the terms of your tariff are. It may not be the same as the sticker on your wall says. You may well have a couple of hours "top up" allowance and the (approximate) hours will be contractual. Your radio telewsitch picks up a signal from the Radio 4 Long Wave transmitter, but the exact times are deliberately randomised to prevent a big power surge from a million homes at the same time. The teleswitch will stop working when the Long Wave transmitter near Droitwich eventually breaks down and old spares are exhausted, as the plan is not to repair or replace it. Your teleswitch will then fall back to its own timeclock, which will slowly lose accuracy. Probably you will have been persuaded to use a "smart" meter by then.

When I worked for them, they had literally hundreds of tariffs (most introduced as a marketing ploy) and they were pressured to reduce them.

There is a ploy called "confusion pricing" popular with phone and utility companies to weaken consumer activism.

you need to contact your electricity supplier and ask what the terms of your tariff are. It may not be the same as the sticker on your wall says. You may well have a couple of hours "top up" allowance and the (approximate) hours will be contractual. Your radio telewsitch picks up a signal from the Radio 4 Long Wave transmitter, but the exact times are deliberately randomised to prevent a big power surge from a million homes at the same time. The teleswitch will stop working when the Long Wave transmitter near Droitwich eventually breaks down and old spares are exhausted, as the plan is not to repair or replace it. Your teleswitch will then fall back to its own timeclock, which will slowly lose accuracy. Probably you will have been persuaded to use a "smart" meter by then.

When I worked for them, they had literally hundreds of tariffs (most introduced as a marketing ploy) and they were pressured to reduce them.

There is a ploy called "confusion pricing" popular with phone and utility companies to weaken consumer activism.

I am on SEE Standard SuperDeal. It took several calls to SEE to eventually find someone who even knew about the 3 x rate deal (Day/Night/Stored) - I dont think I can bear to spend time on the phone to try and understand the timings on the deal. Anyway I am going to move to an Economy 7 deal as I have found one with much cheaper rates.

if you have a question or problem that isn't on the call-handlers' script, you will get better results by sending a very short letter. It will be logged and passed along until it reaches someone who can help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back