Economy 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A relative has just had this removed and central heating put in. Can the power point fronts be changed for 13A sockets instead?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
A relative has just had this removed and central heating put in.
Exactly what has he/she had removed?

Can the power point fronts be changed for 13A sockets instead?
What's the rating of the protective device for the circuit you're proposing to use?

TopTrumper said:
What question do you think you're answering "yes" to?

Edit: And since it's in vogue to edit an earlier post to make it look as though you thought of something before anyone else did, I'd just like to point out the need to check EFLI so that fault disconnection times are upheld, given the change in use of the circuit. So there you go - it wasn't holmslaw who mentioned it first. :rolleyes:

There's a good chance the supply to the consumer unit which fed the final circuits for the storage heaters has now been disconnected.
Can you post a picture of it and surrounding electrical items like the main consumer unit and meter?

Sponsored Links
A relative has just had this removed and central heating put in.

Can the power point fronts be changed for 13A sockets instead?
What's the rating of the protective device for the circuit you're proposing to use?

TopTrumper said:

As stated..
Yes to the only question he asked.
These will be fed by 2.5 t+e and will be on the night time meter, probably on 20amp breakers.
Somebody needs to wire these up to the main C.U in their own 16amp breakers, or if space is a premium, put all of them on one 16amp.breaker..

I think you'll find its something to with the subject matter.
Economy 7 is a tariff - you can't "have it removed", unlike your common sense. :rolleyes:

My question was pretty clear both in content and in purpose. Without knowing what equipment was removed, and what circuits were removed/disabled, his original question cannot be answered accurately or responsibly.

TopTrumper said:
<something irrelevant>
You seem confused - I was asking TopTrumper, not you.

So, you didn't answer any of the implied questions then?

These will be fed by 2.5 t+e and will be on the night time meter
An odd use of the future tense. Are you predicting what's going to happen, or guessing at what's there at the moment?

probably on 20amp breakers.
I see that you're a gambling man.

Somebody needs to wire these up to the main C.U in their own 16amp breakers, or if space is a premium, put all of them on one 16amp.breaker..
Hmm. This appears to be an answer to a question that the OP didn't ask. Why didn't you mention this in your first post?

when i had mine removed last week the meter man simply put the off peak tail in a henley with the normal electric. ashame he didn;t ask me if i wanted it running as the next day i put my new consumer unit in.

So, you didn't answer any of the implied questions then?

These will be fed by 2.5 t+e and will be on the night time meter
An odd use of the future tense. Are you predicting what's going to happen, or guessing at what's there at the moment?

probably on 20amp breakers.
I see that you're a gambling man.

Hmm. This appears to be an answer to a question that the OP didn't ask. Why didn't you mention this in your first post?

you got some sort of problem mate?

he asked 1 question, [removed]....and i still have the same answer..YES

I'm sorry, but Softus is right.

How on earth can you say wether this can or can't be done without first getting more information from the OP?

We don't know what has been removed or disconnected.

We don't know what is still remaining

We don't know how or in what the old supplies are wired.

It might be that an OP consumer unit has been disconnected. If so this would need to be connected to a peak supply. This might involve the installation of henley blocks. It might not.

What about provision of RCDs, and bringing the old installation upto current standards?

There are far too many variables involved to just say 'yes' without even a thought to ask the OP for more information.

Oh, and exactly what was the point of personally attacking Softus? Did it make you feel big?

I'm sorry, but Softus is right.

How on earth can you say wether this can or can't be done without first getting more information from the OP?

We don't know what has been removed or disconnected.

We don't know what is still remaining

We don't know how or in what the old supplies are wired.

It might be that an OP consumer unit has been disconnected. If so this would need to be connected to a peak supply. This might involve the installation of henley blocks. It might not.

What about provision of RCDs, and bringing the old installation upto current standards?

There are far too many variables involved to just say 'yes' without even a thought to ask the OP for more information.

Oh, and exactly what was the point of personally attacking Softus? Did it make you feel big?

Attack?
are you for real? did you not read the snotty reply softus gave?
listen mate, go and read the OP, and you will see that the guy asks one simple question, nothing more nothing less...

If he wanted to tell us his life story and the life story of his electrical installation he would have, you never know, he might come back and ask another question.

Get off your high horse. Oh, and I am not your mate.
The OP did not tell us "the life story of his electrical installation". We need this information to advise wether what he proposes can or can not be done.

Did you read my post?

Would you connect the wiring if it was rubber or VIR cable?

Would you connect the wiring if it were connected to a ceramic fusebox?

Would you connect the wiring if the circuit did not contain an RCD?

Would you connect the wiring if the fuse box tails were undersized?

Would you install a henley block if the meter tails were undersized?

Would you connect the wiring if the OCPD devices for the final circuits were incorrectly sized?

Would you connect the wiring if the main earth or the bonding was not big enough or present?

Get off your high horse. Oh, and I am not your mate.
The OP did not tell us "the life story of his electrical installation". We need this information to advise wether what he proposes can or can not be done.

Did you read my post?

Would you connect the wiring if it was rubber or VIR cable?

Would you connect the wiring if it were connected to a ceramic fusebox?

Would you connect the wiring if the circuit did not contain an RCD?

Would you connect the wiring if the fuse box tails were undersized?

Would you install a henley block if the meter tails were undersized?

Would you connect the wiring if the OCPD devices for the final circuits were incorrectly sized?

Would you connect the wiring if the main earth or the bonding was not big enough or present?

[removed]

The storage heaters that have been removed, he will be left with 20amp DP switches around the house more than likely, i never read your post because softarse gegged in first with his i know best attitude, of course there is a lot of variables, the guy wanted a plain yes or no.

This is how it goes, on the same subject, its called question and answer..

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=93580

He might have wanted a plain yes or no, but we can not say for sure without knowing more information.

Everything you have said is based on guess work. Do you guarantee the safety of your customers and their families by guessing their electrical installation is safe, or would you actually bother to check?

Why don't you try answering some of my questions, instead of just banding around your petty insults?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back