Economy 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
He might have wanted a plain yes or no, but we can not say for sure without knowing more information.

Everything you have said is based on guess work. Do you guarantee the safety of your customers and their families by guessing their electrical installation is safe, or would you actually bother to check?

Why don't you try answering some of my questions, instead of just banding around your petty insults?

Regarding your questions, no to every one of them.
And if that is the case, every single person who asks a question on this DIY forum should expect a similar response, or, why dont we just answer every question with a, "go and call an electrician"

Sponsored Links
If posters ask a question and haven't given all relevant information to form an adequate response then a request for more information is made.
Until all information is available then how can an adequate response be given?

The answer to the OPs question is yes, you can replace the outlets with sockets. And who says they aren't going to get an electrician to do the work? If you need to know IF it can be done, then it probably means you don't know HOW it should be done and will therefore be seeking a professional to do the work. Although, as this is a DIY website, some amount of DIY is inevitable.

I would say the answer to the op's question is maybe, depending on several conditions being met

Sponsored Links
you got some sort of problem mate?
Problem mate? Me mate? No mate. Not me mate. But I have Marmite.

TopTrumper said:
The storage heaters that have been removed, he will be left with 20amp DP switches around the house more than likely
It's also more than likely that the roulette ball will land on zero at some point during the session.

TopTrumper said:
the guy wanted a plain yes or no.
Ah now I see what you're getting at. Someone has only to want a plain yes or no answer, and you'll provide it. Please answer yes or no to the following question then:

Are you competent, or aren't you incompetent?

A relative has just had this removed and central heating put in. Can the power point fronts be changed for 13A sockets instead?
Thanks

You must ensure that disconnection time of 0.4 secs can be achieved, otherwise no problem, you will need a spark to check the disconnection times.

The regs and part p are not retroactive for that reason you do not have to install an RCD - although it might be a good idea to do so.

You do NOT have to comply with Part P because you are only replacing some spurs with sockets.
All electrical work has to comply with Part P.

You do NOT have to comply with The 17th edition because the regulations are not retroactive.
For domestic work, nobody has to comply with the 17th Edition.

Possibly the one and only question that woosie asked -- morning BAS.
WTF?

You do NOT have to employ an electrician to do the work.
Although it might be the cheapest way to stay within the law, if that is a concern.

You do NOT have to comply with Part P because you are only replacing some spurs with sockets.
Of course you have to comply with Part P (assuming woosie's relative is in England like he is) - it applies to all work on LV & ELV installations that are in or attached to dwellings etc etc etc...

You do NOT have to comply with The 17th edition because the regulations are not retroactive.
Well - you never have to comply with the Wiring Regulations, but it's usually a BGI, so if you want to certify that the work you did complied with the 17th then if the work was adding sockets to a circuit then those sockets would need RCD protection...

You're havin a larf - absolute nonsense.

An often stated piece of garbage based on the fact that the regs are not a statutory document. Explain that to the judge when your on trial for manslaughter.

On a more serious note, if you were on trial for manslaughter based on non-compliane with the 17th. I think a good barrister could easily prove that the 17th is a very poorly written, with many strangulated and meaningless phrases - and you would be found noy guilty.

And before you say it softus or bas,I am not going to complie a list. :LOL:

It isn't absolute, because it contains all the correct words and omits only a few.
I meant to write "All [domestic] electrical work [in England and Wales] has to comply with Part P."

An often stated piece of garbage based on the fact that the regs are not a statutory document.
It's often stated because it's always correct and rarely understood. Quite the opposite of garbage, in fact.

On a more serious note, if you were on trial for manslaughter...you would be found noy guilty.
But I'm already noy guilty. :confused:

I'm also nor guilty, mot guilty, and bog fuilty.

It isn't absolute, because it contains all the correct words and omits only a few.
I meant to write "All [domestic] electrical work [in England and Wales] has to comply with Part P."

Im sirpirised that someon as pernickety and nitpicking as you coud make such a misteak, correct the misteak and still be rong.

Here are The Building Regulations.

I am telling you that it is a fact that they do apply. If you can point to an exemption in the text then please do so, otherwise desist from claiming "absolute nonsense" when you are ignorant of what they say.

An often stated piece of garbage based on the fact that the regs are not a statutory document.
But that is a fact, and therefore however much you dislike it it is not garbage.

So in one breath you are claiming that you don't have to comply with something which is mandated by law, and in the next you're claiming that it's garbage to say that you don't have to comply with something not mandated by law.

Is there something wrong with you?

Bas/ softus I think you should read part P, as you are obviously unaware of the details, you can see it here.

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

You will note that it only applies to domestic installations, and certain works are exempt eg replacing socket outlets.

Sofus said "So in one breath you are claiming that you don't have to comply with something which is mandated by law" - I never said that!

What I said was ",You do NOT have to comply with Part P because you are only replacing some spurs with sockets."

Sofus said "and in the next you're claiming that it's garbage to say that you don't have to comply with something not mandated by law." - I never said that either.

You seeem to be getting a little confused. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back