Economy Electricity in Bedfordshire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know which electricity supplier in Bedfordshire (Mid) area provides which economy packages? I don't live there yet, but am trying to make plans for when I do.

Sponsored Links
Thank you. Difficult as I don't know what is currently at the house, but gives an idea. Seems to be many suppliers in the area. Who knows which one is best?

There is no gas there, just night storage heaters at present. I guess they have a Economy 7 meter (maybe 10). I will have to try to find out.

I live in Yorkshire. I get my electricity and gas from Scottish power. I could get my gas and electric from any supplier. The market is open, practically anyone can supply your electric.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the link.

Problem is that I am moving house - not only that, moving area (from London to Mid-Beds).

All these comparison sites ask for my current supplier, and I do not have one for the new place - that's what I am trying to decide - who to connect with.

The new house has no gas and uses night storage heating, so I guess it uses some economy package.

From reading through many posts, Economy 10 is better than Economy 7. I would like to know which provider will be the best to choose, as I have to be connected when I move in.

Look up (or make up) a postcode using the postcode finder on http://www.royalmail.com find a postcode

http://www.royalmail.com/portal/rm/postcodefinder?catId=400145&pageId=pcaf_pc_search&gear=postcode

I expect it will be the old Eastern Electricity (Eastern Region) which is now EDF. Bedfordshire is not an area I went to when I was there. Put in £10 a month Gas (if they do not have GCH) and £50 Electric and tick Economy 7. Search results by price. Look for Electricity only, then Both.

You will spot the prices from the incumbent supplier (the company that used to be the Regional Electricity Company) because they will have the highest prices (this is not a joke).

Looks to me like British Gas will be the cheapest for Electricity only, but this can change as more price cuts are announced. I use themn for my Electricity.

Atlantic Energy are cheap, as long as you are not in one of the regions of their parent company, which is Scottish Hydro, Southern Electric and SWALEC IIRC. I use then for my Gas. They rebate one month's payments every year as a discount.

Screen suppliers by Quality of Service (If you can, or have any industry knowledge) and avoid the bad ones, or you will get lots of incorrect bills; or double bills; or no bills for a long time, then a huge one. When you switch, take your own record of meter numbers and meter readings and check the bills to them.

Internet Only tariffs (no printed bills) are often cheaper. there is usually a discount for Direct Debit monthly payment.

what about dual fuel discount that various providers offer? for example in our house we pay more per unit for gas than the cheapest provider, yet things still work out cheaper on the whole getting our electricity and gas from the same company, than to go with the cheapest gas and electricity providers separately. Thought this was worth a mention in case the original poster is going for both electric and gas, especially since they have no gas central heating (which would probably suggest electric only? thus making my post redundant.. hmm) :rolleyes:

You look at each of the pricing tabs:

Gas & Electricity
Gas Only
Electricity Only

and make sure you are getting the best deal.

Thankee kindly JohnD - very useful. Thank you too Zen.

Didn't make it clear - there is no gas CH because it is a village and there is no gas supply. I can look into oil and lpg later but judt to begin with I will need an electricity supply, and don't want to have to change it just after getting it cos I made the wrong choice.

The comparison site(s) only seem to allow a tick for Economy 7. What about Economy 10 (or any other off-peak rates)? What is best?

I seem to recall that you cant change suppliers until you have been in the house for 3 months. If that still applies.
JonB

What does that mean? Do I have to just tell the current supplier that I am moving in and use them then?

The last time I moved house was 19 years ago and it was within the same LEB area, and I didn't need Economy tariffs, so it was an easy address switch.

in general when you start filling the form they automaticly say who your local supplier is

it dosnt matter what supplier you put down on the form as the suppliers will be in cost order supplying the number of units you put down in the fashion you wish to pay ect[direct debit on line duel fuel ect]
in other words if powergen charge £800 and n power are £810 and bg are £8.000.00

you will get a list of say 10 suppliers at exactly the same price who ever you put down as your supplier is fairly irelevent if you choose bg in my example you will gain lots if you choose powergen in my example youl gain nowt

the main use of the form is to decide the structure off all the quotes based on the information you give

what ever the savings quoted expect them to be around 30 to 60% of the quoted price in reality

JohnD - where did you get British Gas from? I have used the figures you suggested in Uswitch, EnergyHelpLine and SimplySwitch and they all suggest Npower's "Sign Online V.6" is best.

Just says night time rate for economy. I have never used economy electricity - what's the difference between 7 and 10 (or others)? do you just ask the supplier which one they supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back