Ecostrad ceramic rad not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

This is the rad I have and it is under guarantee still by 3 months (2 yr).

Everything is working as normal on the control screen. It is calling for heat and is not in any time off mode. The fuse board has not been tripped out. I have switched off for an hour and still no joy.

So it looks like the rad has died.

Does anyone have knowledge of these rads ? Are they reliable or not ?

I will speak to the help team on Monday about it, but I thought I would try get some info about them on here.

Sponsored Links
This is the control panel on the rad

Attachments

• a5808424-2c16-45bf-a66b-88ba8c5b111d.jpeg
    a5808424-2c16-45bf-a66b-88ba8c5b111d.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 42
If it is anything like the old electric panel heaters, and you have been airing or drying clothes on it, the overheat stat might have tripped.

Sponsored Links
It will be the electronics. Either the relay or the circuit which drives the relay.
Manufacturers locating electronic devices at the top of a heating appliance will always result in failure.

I have spoken to the rad supplier and they will send me a new rad.

I am a bit worried the other rads could easily break down in the future as well. Say in 5 yrs time. This one has lasted about 18mths.

So my question is can this fault be repaired by myself or a repair shop ? The units cost £400 approx each and I have 3 of them. Once out of guarantee I am worried obviously.

Can't see anything you can do to reduce the chance they will fail, so no good worrying about them, in hind sight easy to say if spending £1200 on heaters why not use heat pumps.

However I got a heat pump tumble drier, which failed prematurely, replaced under warranty, and I started to wonder if I had done the right thing. Second one seems OK to date.

We all have today expensive control units, I have an iboost+ to run my immersion heater, and fitted in the airing cupboard not the best place to keep the electronics cool, but nothing I can do about it, just suck it and see.

Ok.

another question though. On the new heater I have asked for a new guarentee of 2 yrs. Ive been told this is not possible and the current guarantee applies.

At screw fix I have bought tools which have failed after a year or so and I get a new tool as replacement, but this tool also has a new guarantee.

Anyone know what legals are on this issue ?

Unfortunately, I think only guaranteeing a product for the initial warranty period, even if it has been replaced, is quite common. I bet this will be in the small print in the guarantee issued when you bought the radiators and, if so, then this is quite legal (annoyingly)

You raise a valid point, I have had recalls for my 10 year old car, and work done FOC even well outside of the guarantee period. There is a thin line between design fault, and wearing out, we know a bulb has a limited life, and that life is worked out by the point when half have failed, I have a box in my hand which says lifespan approx 30000 hours, and if those lights failed in a week or two I would take it back, but after 6 months even if well under the 30000 hours even if that equates to 3.42 years. So normal use should last 10 years, but I would not dream of taking the lamp back.

I think with electronics either it fails quickly or it lasts for years, but the problem is we know spikes and the like can make electronics connected direct to the mains to fail, this is why we have things like the surge protection device (SPD) fitted in our consumer units, today not heard of manufacturers asking if a SPD is fitted, and to be fair they should if required stipulate fitting them, seen boiler manufacturers installation instructions stipulating type A RCD should be fitted and can't see how that would protect the boiler.

But the fire you have is not cheap, so it could have electronic regulations in the same way as my iboost+ immersion heater controller, and until I saw a strip down of one on the internet I had no idea is was so complex.

Simple contacts wear out, and the more the switch the less time they will last, an electronic contactor could last for decades, there is no moving part to where out, but any spike could mean it lasts less time to a simple set of contacts, so unless some one like big Clive strips one down on his internet youtube channel we have not idea what is inside.

The hefty price tag may mean electronic switching, or it could mean some one wants a huge profit. We simply don't know.

The hefty price tag may mean electronic switching, or it could mean some one wants a huge profit. We simply don't know.
It's the huge profit.

All of these 'designer' heaters costing £100s are just basic resistive heating elements, sometimes surrounded with magical bricks, ceramics, gels and other malarkey.
The control is a tiny PCB with a few cheapo components on it, total built cost being generous ~£10.

The guatentee is sold as 10 yrs (on the paint work when you read it). Two yrs on the electrical bits.

The company Ecostrad ltd is based near York where I live.

So tomorrow I am going to call them and have a chat about it all. I feel it is really unfair this rad has failed, even though I put in a new one today the retailer send me. I can't fault the retailers customer service when buying and this issue, but going forward I am going to be wary of using this type of rad in any house I work on.

FLameport, can you give me any links to a cheaper product I might be able to use in the future (in case I get a failure again). I've gone all electric on this property so have 3 rads plus the bath towel rail. The big rads cost £400-450 now. I got 15% off when I bought them due to my subscription to a trade body.

The guatentee is sold as 10 yrs (on the paint work when you read it). Two yrs on the electrical bits.

The company Ecostrad ltd is based near York where I live.

So tomorrow I am going to call them and have a chat about it all. I feel it is really unfair this rad has failed, even though I put in a new one today the retailer send me. I can't fault the retailers customer service when buying and this issue, but going forward I am going to be wary of using this type of rad in any house I work on.

FLameport, can you give me any links to a cheaper product I might be able to use in the future (in case I get a failure again). I've gone all electric on this property so have 3 rads plus the bath towel rail. The big rads cost £400-450 now. I got 15% off when I bought them due to my subscription to a trade body.
So I have three of these units in my small flat. 2 have now failed and are out of warranty. they've hardly been used and look like new. Did you find anyone that would consider repairing them?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back