EDF asking for a dead test certificate

PS, those EZ test (other makes are available) devices cannot detect an earth/neutral reversal.
Indeed - but nor, either, can many other tests, can they? Of course, if the circuit is RCD protected, the easiest 'test' is obviously to just connect a load :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I am sorry Eric. Also a new circuit. We are told that the work was "' just about a complete rewire" so we can expect that there will have been just about all new circuits and a new consumer unit. ... All of these are notifiable works as required by Building Regulations.
I agree, but since this particular horse has already well and truly bolted, I personally would take a pragmatic approach - remember the lessons I'd learned and accept that they had cost me some money, pay for a decent electrician to undertake a proper EICR for my peace of mind (and get any defects found rectified) ... and then put the matter to bed.

Kind Regards, John

Unless it's reversed before the RCD...
True, but that would require some pretty accomplished incompetence, particularly if the RCD were in a CU, wouldn't it? :) ... and, perhaps more to the point, which of your tests would detect it??

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I followed the Emma Shaw case with interest. It seems odd to me the guy who drove the screw through the cable was not even named.

As to the inspection and testing that also is some what odd in that the electricians mate was given a task which he complied with to best of is ability. From the report it is unclear as to who was really to blame. But the hierarchy mean it fell on the foreman.

I would have expected there to have been some noise when the system was energised which should have alerted some one there was a fault. A simple plug in tester with loop test should have shown there was no earth and one wonders at what point in time did the mate test and the guy put the screw through the cable?

Clearly today the same fault could not happen the BS7671:2008 was issued after the event and had that been current at the time of the death it could not have happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back