Edited

Sponsored Links
Just fitted a 600 X 400 double glazed window. Cost me £80 inc VAT from a local factory. Easy peasy to fit. Only a replacement though - the hole was already there.

I don't know about planning permission, but you will need to put some sort of lightweight lintel over the opening to support the brickwork/roof. Plastic windows aren't very good at holding up this sort of load.
You might be able to pick up a bargain window on Ebay - people often buy windows that they don't end up using.
If you've never done this sort of thing before I'd recommend getting the help of a mate who has, or at least doing some research on what's involved. You don't want the roof caving in or your arm slicing off by an angle grinder.

Just fitted a 600 X 400 double glazed window. Cost me £80 inc VAT from a local factory. Easy peasy to fit. Only a replacement though - the hole was already there.
can you please email the details of the vendor you've got your windows from and how can i get a quute?

Sponsored Links
http://www.dwctradewindows.co.uk/contactus.php

The factory they use is situated in South Somerset. It also supplies much of the South West but I don't think you can order direct from them only through a trading company.

Hope this helps.
thanks for that, I will make a quote.
perhaps you can also advice where I need a planning permition to cut to smal windows in the wall which faces the same dead wall of a neighbouring house?

Sorry, Can't help you there. Post a question in the 'Building Regulations and Planning Permission' section of the Forum. I am certain you will get some advice.

Planning permission is not required for installing new windows (or doors) - unless there is a specific condition on the original planning permission ... very unlikely in this case

Look at the wickes site for window prices.

It really a builders job and I'd say a days work plus materials so about £150 plus window and a tray lintel shaped like an 'L'.

The guy can cut it with a disk saw from the outside. He should not go all the way through to prevent dust going inside the porch, and then he can chip the remaining bit with a chisel. He should inset the tray lintel first so as not the disturb the bricks above

So its easy job. Don't entertain anyone attacking this with a hammer and chisel :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back