elastics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
did anyone here play elastics as a child?

(long length of elastic tied so in one big loop.
Two people stand with elastic round their ankles so forming a rectangle.
Other person in middle doing different games between the elastic?)

Colleague and I talking between visits about games we played as children.

What other games did you play?
not playstation or computers.

Sponsored Links
I think it probably is john.. or it was at my school. (Im 35 now so probably dont do it anymore)

What games did you do?
Im sick of my kids playing on game boys and computer

Sponsored Links
Can't remember games.

I hate sports and ball games now.

no, I mean in play times.

Or after school, playing out with your pals.
Not what you were forced to do... things you played and enjoyed.

I made something with a U shaped bit of wire.....between the prongs was an elastic band..........in the middle was a tap washer.....turn the washer round+round to tighten the elastic..........hold steady and sit on device on hard school chair.....raise buttock slightly .....spinning washer makes a sound :LOL: :LOL: :cool:

Some bits might get lost in translation, but here goes:
elastics, yes played those (never good at it though, too long feets on too long legs)
several 'run-and-catch' games (the normal one: one who gets caught is runner again; one starts, catches another, link hands, next one caught links hands, next one becomes linked with the former and couple starts 'catching' also etc)
skipping rope (single or long one so more and more have to join in, long feet and long legs again :confused: )
marbles
did you have this toy also (late 60's): two big marbles on a rope you had to knock above and below your wrist as fast and long as possible? Had a black wrist many times, when it went wrong it really hurt like hell.
Hide-and seek of course, only not on school playground. Specially likes the one where if a lot of kids were already found you kicked an empty tin and the seeker had to start all over again.
Etc....

when i was @ school played a game called "squash" and what you had to do was hit a football at a brickwall,the fun bit was the next person had to take there next shot from where the ball landed,also used to throw pennies at the wall and the person who got closest to the wall won.we also invented a crude sort of gunpowder and used it on the wall as we got bored with kicking balls and pennies against it.(the recipe for the gunpowder included saltpeter and slug pellets and suger or something like that)
there was a weird kid at our school who used to have a hole in his trouser pocket and put his willy in it and he used to have his hands full of books and ask the girls to get his pen from his pocket.

Hows about putting string thru a couple of cans and walking about on them? or anyone play "kick the can" or british bulldog in the playground? one of the things we did that you can't do anymore is take the cork seals out of bottle tops and use the tops as badges. Na! your all to young :rolleyes: or sophisticated :LOL:

ohmygodwhathaveyoudone said:
there was a weird kid at our school who used to have a hole in his trouser pocket and put his willy in it and he used to have his hands full of books and ask the girls to get his pen from his pocket.
Well...The PEN is Mightier than the Sword :LOL: :cool:

Oh yes, elastics (better used for tying the boys to trees with though), British Bulldog, getting wimpy boys to climb trees and then leaving them there, rat-tat-ginger, k-nockers (those clacky ball things) - I was ace at those and when they were re-launched a few years back, I proved it to my kids hahaha.

I remember all these games, shame kids don't seem to be able to make their own entertainment any more. We also used to use a couple of old blankets & some clothes pegs to make a 'tent' over the ancient garden swing LOL

Sponsored Links
Back