Elctrical safety inspection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anbody help please,I have a property which i rent, it has just had a safety inspection which a few items where picked up. one being no local isolation switch for shower fan, code 2. this is on the ground floor of the property in a room with a half glazed door letting in natural light is this switch required? if so has the 3 pole isolater got to be wired before the normal switch? or can you take the wiring from the fan through the switch? also in the electricians report he has picked up no cross bonding under kitchen sink code 2, which i have been informed is not required under section 16 as long as the bathroom sink has bonding is this correct please? also no continuity on upstairs ring code 3, could this be a radial circuit? as the property was only rewired 12 months ago (before i purchased it) i was very surprised it failed on these items he has estimated £460+vat to carry out these items does this sound fair please help i feel i am being ripped off

Sponsored Links
for your information the meaning of PIR codes
1: requires urgent attention
2: requires improvement
3: requires further investigation
4: not compliant with BS7671 (but not in any real need of attention either, things like lack of red sleeving at lightswitches would probablly come into this category)

the normal place to put the fan isolator is just before the fan itself, that is why they are three pole allowing them to switch permanent live, switched live and neutral.

cross bonding under the kitchen sink is not required under the current edition of the regs.

you really need to find out exactly what is going on with the upstairs ring even if you finally decide to split it into radials to avoid replaing a damaged cable. Remember if it is 2.5mm cable then if you split it into radials it will need to be reduced to a 20A breaker.

Rawlings said:
no local isolation switch for shower fan, code 2........is this switch required?

Yes

has the 3 pole isolater got to be wired before the normal switch? or can you take the wiring from the fan through the switch?

The isolator should be wired after the light switch, but before the fan, so that it isolates the permanant live, switched live, and neutral.

Often the easiest soloution to retrofit a fan isolator is to fit a 3 pole pull switch adjacent to the fan (providing it falls within an apropriate zone)

also in the electricians report he has picked up no cross bonding under kitchen sink code 2, which i have been informed is not required under section 16 as long as the bathroom sink has bonding is this correct please?

Supplementary bonding is only required in locations containing a bathtub or shower.

It used to be required on kitchen sinks, but this was abolished when the 16th edition of BS 7671 was published in 1992

also no continuity on upstairs ring code 3, could this be a radial circuit? as the property was only rewired 12 months ago

It is unlikely. There would only be 1 wire leaving the way in the CU if it was a radial circuit, so the electrician would not have mistaken it for an o/c ring.

he has estimated £460+vat to carry out these items does this sound fair please help i feel i am being ripped off

Dunno.

Ask a couple of other local electricians to give you a price for the work if you are unhappy

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back