Electric Bonding Gas Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've just joined the site and was wondering if someone can help.

I live in a flat and have a gas meter. It has a pipe coming into it from outside and a pipe which leads from it to the boiler. There is a clip attached to the pipe leading from the boiler to the pipe. I have been told this is the earth bonding.

I want to have the meter taken out as I don't use the meter and object to paying a standing charge for something I don't use. SSE have told me they can't move it as it would breach the health and safety rules as the earth bonding could go live into the flat if there was a short circuit.

My housing association have said it would be safe and they don't need to move the bonding.

Please could someone let me know the correct answer. I know very little about electrics so could the answer be in simple tones (for a simple person :) ).

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Sounds like they don't want to do it.

Is there really no way around a standing charge?

I asked SSE this and they said no. Would it be safe to remove the meter and leave the bonding where it was? I'm definitely not an expert but I would have thought it could lead to the pipes inside my property becoming live if there were a short circuit?

Would it be safe to remove the meter and leave the bonding where it was?
It would be safe for the gas transporter company to remove the gas meter leaving the bond wire disconnected from anything. Or better they protect the end by putting it in a terminal block in case the gas meter is ever re-installed.

my property becoming live if there were a short circuit?
Unless there are Live wires where the gas meter is ( was ) then there is nothing for the end of the bond wire to short to that could make it Live.

Sponsored Links
To the person who asked what I use without the boiler the answer is electric shower and cold water for washes and shaving. Kettle of hot water for washing plates etc. It is a key meter and I object strongly to the charges they impose as I am on a very limited budget.

The housing association bloke said it would be ok to take the meter out as is. I have just spoken to his boss and a complaints manager who said that SSE would need to connect more bonding across from the internal gas pipe/carcass to the in pipe and then remove the meter. I have just contacted SSE by email and am awaiting a response.

I am really angry as I get conflicting information from the 2 different organisations.

Is there really no way around a standing charge?
There must be. It must be possible for the OP to cancel/terminate his contract with SSE (probably with some specified notice period) and, once that is done, whether or not SSE removes their meter is their problem.

As has been said and implied, their excuse for not being able to remove the meter sounds like nonsense.

Kind Regards, John

To the person who asked what I use without the boiler the answer is electric shower and cold water for washes and shaving. Kettle of hot water for washing plates etc. It is a key meter and I object strongly to the charges they impose as I am on a very limited budget.
And heating?

Electricity is far more expensive than gas, so you're using an expensive way to heat water. I understand what you say about the prices of pre-paid fuel - they are indeed outrageous, but how come you have to suffer that for gas but not electricity?

The housing association bloke said it would be ok to take the meter out as is. I have just spoken to his boss and a complaints manager who said that SSE would need to connect more bonding across from the internal gas pipe/carcass to the in pipe and then remove the meter. I have just contacted SSE by email and am awaiting a response.
As John said, removal is irrelevant, and unnecessary. Just cancel your contract with them for the supply of gas - they can't force you to have it.

I haven't thought of cancelling my contract, thanks John.

I just do without heating. I have an electric cooker, washing machine etc so it just makes sense to do without gas as I had to choose one.

I haven't thought of cancelling my contract, thanks John.
You're welcome.

However, if what you currently have is a 'dual fuel' (electricity + gas) contract make sure that you only cancel the gas part (if they will let you). If they get awkward about that, you could 'switch' to a different supplier (which, again, they can't stop you doing).

Kind Regards, John

Afaik they are not allowed to do No standing charge tarrifs, however there are suppliers that set the standing charge at Zero.

Be carefull if you ask for it to be cut off as i was told its expensive to reconnect and likely more than the standing charge if only for a short term.

The standing charge will still accrue.

Plus there could be some arrears being paid off by the key payments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back