electric brake gone on ryobi combi drill

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone had experience of this?

I bought a Ryobi combi drill about 20 months ago, and noticed that the electric brake seems to no longer work. At least most of the time... basically 2 times out of 3 the chuck keeps spinning after you let go of the trigger :confused:

Other than that it seems fine, not sure whether to pull it apart, or just chuck it. I've other ryobi tools, so the batts will still be used.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
havent you noticed they have a 2 year gaurentee ;)

will still work perfectly well 'does it do it in 2nd gear!!!!

check the switch if you let go quickly it might work,had this on a bosch had to basically flick the trigger off and it would stop,but as big-all has aready mentioned if your worried take it back.

might have been using it for more than light to medium trade use though :LOL: ;)

Sponsored Links

I had not! :oops: :eek: i'll call screwfix - it pains me to say it! this is the second one as well, first one i had, the battery got so hot it started to smoke, so i chucked it out the window in a panic thinking it was about to explode (id didn't, but it was a real mess and all melted! :eek:

No, it happens in both gears... works fine, even after you release the trigger!

check the switch if you let go quickly it might work,had this on a bosch had to basically flick the trigger off and it would stop,but as big-all has aready mentioned if your worried take it back.

the brake will kick in, if after releaseing the trigger, you press it again lightly, but as i know know the garrentee is two years, i might as well get it replaced!

can't pass up a 'shiny "new" toy - for free! :D

I had not! :oops: :eek: i'll call screwfix - it pains me to say it! this is the second one as well, first one i had, the battery got so hot it started to smoke, so i chucked it out the window in a panic thinking it was about to explode (id didn't, but it was a real mess and all melted! :eek:

sounds like a case off some cells reversing polarity!!!
was the melting centred over a specific area!!!

sounds like a case off some cells reversing polarity!!!
was the melting centred over a specific area!!!

As i recall (bearing in mind it happened ages ago), battery died, so changed it with the one in the charger, tried it again, and still no joy, then it started to smell and the battery felt quite warmer - much more than you'd expect having been in the charger - then it made a sizzleing sound, then started to smoke, then REALLY rather hot with increasing amounts of smoke....... at that point i decided to bail, and the whole lot went out the window! :D went back about an hour later, and one corner of the battery had completely melted away and was no more! took the whole lot back, and they replaced everything!

All was good with that one, untill saturday morning when the brake decided to go!

Anyway called screwfix back today, got told by the chap on the phone, that it was over a year old, and they only gaurentee for 12months, so i would have send it to Ryobi,(at which point i told him about the consumer goods act, and that my contract as a consumer was with screwfix, not ryobi, and that gaurentees were now 'a resonable amount of time', not a fixed 12months).
They called me back later one and said they would send a whole new set out! All in all, i can't complain really........
(for light to medium trade use!) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back