Electric element radiator wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am swapping out 2 vertical radiators on my central heating system and would like to convert one that is removed into an electric one for a new extension.

What I would like to know is does this converted radiator have to be hardwired through a fused spur or can it simply be plugged in to a ring main socket. The element will be 600w and the extension is neither a wet room or bathroom so no risk of water ingress.

I have in the past used a 3kw oil filled radiator in the room on the same socket that this radiator would be plugged into when needed. Basically winter months.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Can be plugged in or wired to an FCU. At 600watts it will probably come with a plug, thats sort of a clue!

Great if can be plugged in. None of the elements I have seen come with a plug though. So no clues there really

So you used a 3kW heater before and will now use 600W. 20% of the heating effect... Are you expecting it to work as well?

Sponsored Links
No not at all but the 3kw oil heater is mobile and used elsewhere.
All I need to know is does running the electrical element run radiator from a plug not against any regs.
I'm not an electrician, obviously but all the elements I have seen say need to be wired to a fused spur. But is this because they are generally used in bathrooms.
Thanks

All I need to know is does running the electrical element run radiator from a plug not against any regs.
No. Assuming they are less than the 13A of a plug and fuse.
600W is a quarter of an Amp 2.5Amps.

I'm not an electrician, obviously but all the elements I have seen say need to be wired to a fused spur.
Saying the element needs connecting to a fused spur is misleading as neither a fuse nor a spur might be needed.

The cable is actually the spur - but many call a Fused Connection Unit a spur so who knows what they mean.

But is this because they are generally used in bathrooms.
Not really, it is just something they have written.

Last edited:
Thanks to you all for your help and advice, really appreciated.
So many suppliers saying having to be wired to a fused spur. Example attached

Attachments

• IMG_20210213_191315.jpg
    IMG_20210213_191315.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 67
Thanks to you all for your help and advice, really appreciated.
So many suppliers saying having to be wired to a fused spur. Example attached
That is because the product is described as for a towel radiator. These are used in bathrooms. Sockets not permitted in bathrooms, but fused spurs can be ( depending on location).

Last edited:
But it is just an electric element not a radiator. So surely can be fitted to any radiator and doesn't have to be a towel radiator or placed in a bathroom?

Yes. But the makers envisage they will be mostly used in radiators in a bathroom. That’s why they are described
Towel Radiator Element!
I missed a word out of my post. Edited now for clarity.

Most people wanting an electric radiator for other rooms would, I guess, install a panel rad or a ready to go radiator (like an oil filled rad.)

Last edited:
Thanks all, answers my concerns and I've since found companies online that put these elements into many types of standard or vintage radiators not just towel rails for bathrooms.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back