Electric Garage door problems......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,
We moved to our current house about 6 yars ago, and the garage has an elctric remotely operated roller shutter door.
About a year ago I noticed that occasionally it would stop rising up, and then another button press and it would then rise completely. I cleaned the guides/runners either side of the door and vacuumed out any detritus I could see.
Recently it has got much worse, and now will not do more than rise a few inches at best. I am resorting to winding the manual handle each time now. It won't even descend under it's own weight.
I've taken off the cover and seen the motor assembly, it all looks fine, no burning or dust. The sensor bumb on the door itself that passes the magnets(?) in the frame top and bottom seems to have an LED in it that blinks sometimes when raising and lowering?
If the unit is live and I just use the manual handle, the alarm sounds so I assume the lowere sensor with LED is something to do with that?
I've read that the force required to raise and lower the door has parameters set by screws somewhere, but I can't see them.
A little while back I could successfully raise the door by getting the bottom up, hitting the raise button, then quickly reaching down take the major weight of the door whilst it rose, and it would then complete.
Any suggestions where to start? I'm at a loss and can't really be replacing it anytime soon.
Thanks in advance.
https://imgur.com/YkRv1ws
https://imgur.com/goBd9rz
https://imgur.com/r1ZELPQ

Sponsored Links
If you can ascertain the Model Number of the mechanism, it may be possible to download the service manual for this product to help you understand the steps to be taken to service/adjust this equipment.

If not, you have the name of the manufacture plus a telephone number of the installation organisation and this manufacture is easily contactable and offers to repair and service garage doors. (However, the date of installation is not shown on the equipment label.)
Hence, if you cannot download the necessary manual you may be able to obtain one (or a photo copy) from the manufacture.

If not, they may be able to advise you of the necessary steps to take.
At worst, you could ask for a quote as to the likely cost of a service, given the analysis of the problem that you already have.

My recent experience with having a single roller door replaced plus the fitting of a remote control mechanism with three remotes was
AUD $670 for the door (£384)
AUD $550 for the mechanism (£315)

I would expect the cost of such items and their installation to be less in the UK - as such things usually are.

The sensor at the bottom of the door .....does it contain batteries ? As the one on my door does , it may be time to replace the batteries.....

Sponsored Links
The symptoms described suggest a mechanical problem with parts jammed/seized, or the motor not providing sufficient power to move the door which could be a failed capacitor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back