Electric heated tower rad, fused spur outside zone 2 etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bathroom being replaced/rearranged.

Washing machine going in bathroom corner via new spur in hall, with upward sloping hole up to new spur backbox.

Is it ok to Wago a junction in a 16mm blanked off galvanised backbox, to run a switched fused suppy for the towel rad off to the left (1000 height towel rad going over old sink position).

Does that sound right?

Thank you,
Dain

Attachments

• DSC03131.JPG
    DSC03131.JPG
    256.8 KB · Views: 155
  • DSC03130.JPG
    DSC03130.JPG
    302.3 KB · Views: 185
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I note Wales, and bathroom being replaced, so assume LABC involved. If so, ask them, they have some odd ideas, and as I found it does not matter what the regulations say, they can still stipulate what you can do.

I would say yes OK, it needs a tool to access, but I found charges from LABC too high, so use a scheme member electrician as cheaper.

Thank you but I'm mostly interested in what arrangement would be usual and safe to achieve the extra spur, who does it is of less interest.

That 240v drop inside the bathroom supplies the dbl socket/new spur on the hallway side of the wall. The circled hole goes to the hallway spur.

I'm just trying to find the easiest way to provide a 2nd 240v fused spur INSIDE the bathroom, for a heated towel rad on that yellow wall to the left. Ceiling joists run parallel to the yellow wall,

I was thinking some triple Wagos in a back box would facilitate a short run of cable off to the left but there may be a better way?

Attachments

• DSC03135.JPG
    DSC03135.JPG
    344 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:
Where does the cable come from, what circuit is it on and what size is it?

You cannot just add things to the end of a cable without ensuring it is suitably protected against over-current.

Even in Wales electrical work is only notifiable to the Local Authority if it is a "special installation" (yours is not) or is within the bathroom zones - 0, 1 and 2.

Sponsored Links
Where does the cable come from, what circuit is it on and what size is it?

You cannot just add things to the end of a cable without ensuring it is suitably protected against over-current.

Even in Wales electrical work is only notifiable to the Local Authority if it is a "special installation" (yours is not) or is within the bathroom zones - 0, 1 and 2.

I was thinking of teeing the additional bathroom spur into the old school cable where I chalked a backbox on the wall?

It drops from the kitchen above. The circuit is "Ring main 1/Boiler" in the CU - the only 240v circuit until I added an extension.

Old school cable has no text on the outer grey, but the neutral/live copper cores are 2mm dia on my vernier. It is quite chunky.

The new hallway spur has modern 2x2.5 + 1.5

Attachments

• DSC03136.JPG
    DSC03136.JPG
    180.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
Your cable appears to be 2.5mm² (dia. 1.78mm.) in which case you must fit an FCU with a 13A fuse first and connect everything to the load terminals.

So, run the cable through the wall and connect to the feed terminals of the FCU then from the load terminals to whatever it supplies and the socket, then from the socket to the new radiator FCU through a horizontal chase in the walls.

Or

Replace the drop cable with 4mm² and connect that and two 2.5mm² cables, for the two FCUs, to the socket terminals.

Thank you,

Does the rad FCU have to be sited where it's supply emerges in the bathroom or can it be sited horiz to that, to have it on the yellow wall, below proposed rad?

Attachments

• DSC03139.JPG
    DSC03139.JPG
    406.6 KB · Views: 124
Last edited:
In-line fuses.
Holes to be horiz.
Alter the oldschool to feed the (washing machine) FCU, shown. From there feed dbl socket and up, then thru for rad FCU on the far side.
I cannot decipher that.

Does the rad FCU have to be sited where it's supply emerges in the bathroom or can it be sited horiz to that, to have it on the yellow wall, below proposed rad?
It has to be on the yellow wall if you are concealing the cable.

Does the rad FCU have to be supplied from the socket?

What about both FCUs in the bathroom, switched/flex outlet or otherwise.

Take the existing old code drop to the WM FCU, continue (load) down, to (original) dbl socket feed hole thru wall, plus another (load) off left to rad FCU?

Indicated in chalk & Black marker.

Attachments

• DSC03141a.jpg
    DSC03141a.jpg
    374.7 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:
Does the rad FCU have to be supplied from the socket?
No, but with only 2.5mm² cable, an FCU has to protect everything so has to be 'first' with everything from the out/load terminals.

What about both FCUs in the bathroom, switched/flex outlet or otherwise.
Yes, that would be alright but both will have to be FCUs.

Take the existing old code drop to the WM FCU, continue (load) down, to (original) dbl socket feed hole thru wall, plus another (load) off left to rad FCU?
Indicated in chalk & Black marker.
Yes, that's OK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back