Electric oven questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a built under double electric oven in my new kitchen and have a few questions that need answering.

1:-The manufacturer (neff) in their instruction manual says that i have to burn in the insulation by heating the oven up prior to installing the oven.What does this mean and why do you have to do it.

2:-Connection should be made using a H05VV-F mains connection cable.What is this is it normal 30amp cooker wire.

3:-A electrician who did some re-wiring work placed the cooker connection unit behind where the cooker is to go.He siad that's where he always puts them.Its going to be tight but the oven will just fit in.Is it normal to put them behind the cooker.If so if they are close to the cooker is it a fire risk or are the connection units able to withstand high temperatures.

Sponsored Links
jelly said:
I am about to install a built under double electric oven in my new kitchen and have a few questions that need answering.

1:-The manufacturer (neff) in their instruction manual says that i have to burn in the insulation by heating the oven up prior to installing the oven.What does this mean and why do you have to do it.

Never heard of this before, I would suggest you phone their helpline and ask the question, that way you will not be risking doing something that may invalidate your warranty.

jelly said:
2:-Connection should be made using a H05VV-F mains connection cable.What is this is it normal 30amp cooker wire.

HO5VV-F is actually an American cable spec that is manufactured to meet European standards for sale in Europe. It meets the Harmonisation regulations (Brown-Blue-Green/Yellow cores) and has 60 degree insulation. It is a flexible cable. You then decide the size you want, ie: 2.5mm 3 core HO5VV-F, or you could have 6mm 5 Core HO5VV-F

This cable is expensive, and you would be unlikely to buy it from anything other than a wholesaler, and they will likely sell you the UK equivilent.

Cookers can be connected up using Twin and Earth cable, however all internal connection should be protected with heat resistant sleeves, regardless of the cable used.

jelly said:
3:-A electrician who did some re-wiring work placed the cooker connection unit behind where the cooker is to go.He siad that's where he always puts them.Its going to be tight but the oven will just fit in.Is it normal to put them behind the cooker.If so if they are close to the cooker is it a fire risk or are the connection units able to withstand high temperatures.

It is usual for the connection unit to be placed behind where the cooker will be situated, the cooker is foxed equipment, and you should always keep this connection as short as possible. Also, in a kitchen you do not want coils of large diameter twin&earth cable in the back of a cupboard!!

What you mean where the wire connects up to the cooker terminals.These are on the outside of the oven.A cover then goes over the top.If this is what you mean. Then at this point the outer sleeve of the wire is removed leaving 3 separate wires with individual sleeves.The wires are conneced to the 3 seperate points on the cooker L,N,E.Do you put a sleeve over these.
If so where do you get these sleeves from.Are they like the earth sleeves you get from any DIY store.

Jelly, these are the cores I am referring too, however as NEF have had the good sense to put them under a cover external to any heat producing parts, there is no need to oversleeve.

The sleeving I was referring to is a special type that resists heat, not the stuff you get from B&Q etc. Maplins will sell it, they also sell heatshrink too so if you do decide to get some, don't get it confused, they are different. However as I said, in your situation it will not be necessary, just ensure you sleeve the Earth wire in Green/Yellow sleeving.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

The 'heating up oven before fitting' process is to cure the fibreglass insulation utilised in these ovens, this, apparently, is called 'burning off'.
Can remember this process being carried out, there was a hint of smoke and a slight acrid smell, all soon cleared. I guess, a little like 'burning in' a new gas fire.

We have been using a single oven Neff 'Circotherm' for 9 years, only problem has been the internal light failing, otherwise excellent ... clock - timer still working, quietly too !!

P.

I popped down my local DIY centre and was looking at some 3183Y 3G 2.5mm wire.Thats what it said on the reel.On closer inspection of the wire stamped on it was HO5VV-F.So there you have it.These are the same wires. :D
Incidently how can you tell what ampage the wire is as it didn't say.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back