Electric plug sockets have stopped working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[b I had four plug sockets that I wanted to block off. I put plug socket covers over them - like plug sockets but without any holes.

When I reconnected the electricity, half of the plug sockets in my home stopped working, and half of the plug sockets in my home still work.

I heard a click when the electricity was reconnected, either from the direction of one of the plug sockets or from the mains fuses.

Would going back to how things were solve the problem, or would some mains fuses have to be changed.[/b]

Welcome to the forums

Please stop posting in bold

Please familiarise yoursef with //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

Mod Rupert

Sponsored Links
The sockets you took off - remove the blank plates.

If you can see 2 or more cables coming in there, they MUST be connected together (reds to reds etc)!

The situation as it stands is potentially dangerous if you have ring mains, as ring continuity must be maintained to ensure the cables dont overheat on a ring main. Go back and check. You may need some 30 amp chock block (AKA terminal blocks)

Then when you've finished, recheck the continuity of every conductor on the circuit by removing them from the fuse box (consumer unit) and using your MULTIMETER to test for continuity or resistance between the 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths. If any of these show no continuity, you must find the break in the ring!

OMG... WOW.....

Please tell us what you did with all them wires that were attached to the plugs you removed?

:rolleyes:

and do you know if you have fuses or MCB style CU
(CU = Comsumer Unit..... or Fuse box)...

eeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkk!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Then when you've finished, recheck the continuity of every conductor on the circuit by removing them from the fuse box (consumer unit) and using your MULTIMETER to test for continuity or resistance between the 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths.

I would not recommend the OP goes into their CU as he does not sound competant!

Then when you've finished, recheck the continuity of every conductor on the circuit by removing them from the fuse box (consumer unit) and using your MULTIMETER to test for continuity or resistance between the 2 lives, 2 neutrals and 2 earths.

Perhaps he could do this from one of his new blank plates before completing the ring then.

However, you can check ring continuity at a socket outlet with POWER OFF using the main switch - on the assumption the conductors are connected together at CU

I support that suggestion to NOT go into the consumer unit (fuse box) as lack of knowledge has already created a situation where serious hazards may have been created.

Christ were you lot bored or what? You all pounced on this post! I beat you all to it though so ner ner! :LOL:

Steve

You advised the OP to take the plate off again.

Best advice would have been to turn off the MCBs to the sockets ( I bet the click was on of them tripping on a short somewhere ) and call out an electrician to repair and test the system for safety.

There is good DIY = Do it Yourself = and BAD ill informed DIY = Death Is Yours =

[b Thank you for all the input. I'm amazed at the response rate in this place.

I'm certainly still here. However, some of the responses are more technical than me.

I've removed the blank plates. The reds were connected to reds, the blacks to blacks etc.

I have put all but one plug socket back to how it was. Could putting the other one back to how it was correct the problem, or would an addional problem be left behind ?

What's an MCB ?[/b]

Welcome to the forums

Please stop posting in bold

Please familiarise yoursef with //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19448

Mod Rupert

Unless the problem now is obvious by close inspection (eg pinched/trapped wire) then I suggest you seek help from a competant electrican who will do the appropriate tests for you and sort things out.
You sound as if you are a little out of your depth now that a problem has arisen.Please do you (and yours) a favour by seeking this pro help.

Sarah

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back