Electric sander recommendations (female use)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody have any recommendations on an electric sander that will be suitable to use to strip a varnish covered tongue & groove ceiling? I've been browsing the internet, but I'm none the wiser. Also this will be used by a female (with no experience) so weight will also be important.

Sponsored Links
How big an area? It would be absolutely brutal to sand varnish from a big t&g ceiling. Personally I'd consider replacing it.

I think you could only sand the surface of the varnish off, prior to repainting, really.......to sand down to bare timber would be almost impossible.
You need to consider dust extraction on any machine you consider too.
Makita or Bosch are reliable makes.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Do you think the paint would stick just sanding the surface? Any idea what paint I could use please? I've been looking at the sanders that catch the dust, I think this has to be the way. My husband thinks the job will be too much, but the ceiling is really dark at the moment and would look so much better lighter.

So long as you key the varnished timber with your sander, the new undercoat will stick fine......but of course you may need a good few coats!
Zinsser paints are good for creating a barrier between old and new coatings......personally I haven't found any product better.
John :)

vacuum attachments are better than ones that have their own bag.

your arms are going to be aching lol.

Sander wont get into the grooves, if you want to paint just clean and prime with ESP then paint, no messy sanding, though as stated bit of a fire hazard and best removed, though it's might be hiding a dodgy ceiling and require new.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back