Electric shock treatment

Did you sort this?

I had a similar prob with my dishwasher. Got an electric shock whilst touching the inside of the door when unloading.

Turned out to be a fault with the earth circuit - the socket the dishwasher was plugged into wasn't connected to earth as the earth cable in another socket was loose.

Sponsored Links
just out of curiosity mod 8... what did he do to get the "no hijacking" warning?

he offered a reason why it might be happening from personal experience..

unless you edited out part of his post..

if it's for grave digging then he didn't dig it up..

Thankyou coljack - this thread was listed as a Similar Topic to one I posted so I added to it as I thought it might be helpful - it appeared to be a similar problem and I thought it would be useful to notify the solution to other members experiencing similar problems or for people experiencing similar problems in the future.

If I have done something wrong please tell me.

Must admit I do this sometimes. If I feel by posting something, I might help someone who is trawling through this lot in the future, then I will.

After all, searching for a topic or problem using keywords will drag up lots of historic postings. If they can be added to for future rerefence, why not?

Shame on you, faceless mod! You don't want to discourage helpful posts now, do you?

Sponsored Links
volts dont kill people, you can take any number of volts and be okay there is a video on youtube of a guy getting 50k volts and being "treated for minor injury". AMPS are what kill they do the serious damage!!!
May I suggest you study Ohm's Law?

Had the same problem at my aunties. She had got used to having shocks. When the sink was put in a self tapping screw had pierced the insulation off the 2.5mm which was in the channel.

technically he's right..

if you consider those vandegraph generators they do experiments with at school, they generate a high voltage.. if you are insulated from ground on wooden blocks then it's possible to light a fluorescent tube without recieving a fatal shock..

the voltage only drives a small current in this instance to light the lamp..

however, when in contact with the ground you are making the circuit and a large current flows due to your relatively low body resistance.. it's the current that kills you..

True, but assuming you're connected to ground, the current is going to be proportional to voltage. So, high voltage = high current.

If only it were that simple

The human body impedance varies with applied voltage.

The duration of the shock to the heart is very important,

The short sharp shock from a defibrillator stops the heart's abnormal rythm ( it "kills" the heart ) and then when the shock has passed the heart restarts to a normal rythm.

A long duration shock not only stops the heart but then damages the nervous system enough that the heart cannot re-start a normal rythm.

A high voltage shock often causes severe muscle spasm in one of more limbs which throws the person around of ten breaking the contact with the high voltage. If they are "dis-connected" fast enough the damage to the heart's nervous system is not enough to prevent a natural re-start.

Very interesting, I didn't know that.

How does the body's impedance vary with applied voltage?

If I ever again hear someone utter the stupid words " volts don`t kill amps do" I will pour boiling oil all over them, chop all limbs off, crush them in a mangle, impale them, disembowl them , rip their head off and use it as a football.

That`s if they are lucky

How does the body's impedance vary with applied voltage?

The documents are long lost but in 1969 one of my projects was to design a tester for the early defibrilitors being imported from the USA. This required a dummy load and some experiments were made on freshly dead pigs with voltage applied between pads. Ohms law did not apply as the the current was not directly proportional to voltage.

Chemical changes in body cells as membranes were affected by applied voltage were probably the main non linear effect. Other changes due to release ( in a living body ) of adrenaline will happen.

Ironically the project was dropped when the (nervous) managment realised the defibrillator did not restart the heart but instead stopped its abnormal activity to allow it to hopefully re-start itself in a more normal activity.

If I ever again hear someone utter the stupid words " volts don`t kill amps do" I will pour boiling oil all over them, chop all limbs off, crush them in a mangle, impale them, disembowl them , rip their head off and use it as a football.

OUCH but it really is current that kills. 11Kv does not kill the birds that perch on the un-insulated cables of a over head cable. Only the birds who start to walk across the insulator from wire to cross arm or neck with a friend perched on another phase get zapped.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back