Electric shower and water uptake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I read somewhere that an electric shower cannot dispense water without an electrical supply?
My partners shower packed in and i switched off at the Isolator switch, i expected this to have stopped any water flow being possible but the water flows whether switched off or on, meaning, you can switch the isolator off nd the fuse board but the water still flows when switched on??
Is this a fault with the shower? The plumbing? The way the electrics have been wired up?
I have a replacement engine coming and would like to get to the bottom of this before fitting the new engine.
Can anyone advise me please?

Sponsored Links
Good luck on theReplacement Engine :eek:
I expect you have a gravity fed electric shower with a internal pump thats why your still getting water
Not sure it is gravity fed, it is a Gainsborough 8.5e i have, the replacement engine seems the simplest way to get it up and working, same screw holes etc, i shouldn't encounter any problems, simple push fit etc.'

Sponsored Links
Just put link up
http://www.gainsboroughshowers.co.uk/Customer-Services/Gainsborough-Technical-FAQ/#q4090[/QUOTE]
Yeah thanks i gogt all the tech info from your link, unfortunately this does not solve my problem.
My shower at home requires the isolator switch to be on before the shower will allow water to flow through the unit, this shower will allow water to flow through when the start button is pressed even when either the isolator is switched off, or/ and the main fuse at the box is switched off, ?? how
come?
I didn't think this was possible, the water doesnt heat up obviously but it certainly flows.

The on/off switch on those Gainsborough things is also a mechanical valve to control the water.
Therefore the water will flow regardless of there being power or not.

Most other showers have the water controlled by an electrically operated solenoid valve, so they only allow water to flow when power is on.

The 'shower engine' you have purchased is essentially the entire shower without the outer plastic case. It's about £10 cheaper than buying a whole new shower complete with hose, rail, shower head etc.

The on/off switch on those Gainsborough things is also a mechanical valve to control the water.
Therefore the water will flow regardless of there being power or not.

Most other showers have the water controlled by an electrically operated solenoid valve, so they only allow water to flow when power is on.

The 'shower engine' you have purchased is essentially the entire shower without the outer plastic case. It's about £10 cheaper than buying a whole new shower complete with hose, rail, shower head etc.
Thanks Flameport, I really appreciate the feedback re the power and water flow, thanks a lot.
There's no need to replace rail, hose etc and the real bonus is having the engine which fits in exactly where it came from, no mess with drilling etc.

Don't forget when you fit the new Engine!! check the gap on the spark plugs ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back