Electric Shower Low Pressure - New Build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

I have recently moved into a three storey brand new house. The top floor has an electric shower and when someone is using it, nobody can use any of the toilets or sometimes even turn on a tap because it means our electric shower will flash up 'low water pressure' and basically shut off.
The water pressure downstairs is great, well over 1 bar and on the first floor is is also good, around 1.4 bar. On the top floor however, it is 0.7 bar when no other water is being used. Once a toilet is flushed or a tap runs is goes below 0.7 and our shower cannot operate.

I have reported it to the house builder and they did the normal stuff of checking the stop cock was turned full off etc but they have now just said to me 'this is how it is im afraid'.

My question is does anyone have any ideas? And also, Is it just me or is this not reasonable of the house builder at all, surely we cannot be expected to live like this after spending over 200k on a house.

Sponsored Links
Hi Guys,

I have recently moved into a three storey brand new house. The top floor has an electric shower and when someone is using it, nobody can use any of the toilets or sometimes even turn on a tap because it means our electric shower will flash up 'low water pressure' and basically shut off.
The water pressure downstairs is great, well over 1 bar and on the first floor is is also good, around 1.4 bar. On the top floor however, it is 0.7 bar when no other water is being used. Once a toilet is flushed or a tap runs is goes below 0.7 and our shower cannot operate.

I have reported it to the house builder and they did the normal stuff of checking the stop cock was turned full off etc but they have now just said to me 'this is how it is im afraid'.

My question is does anyone have any ideas? And also, Is it just me or is this not reasonable of the house builder at all, surely we cannot be expected to live like this after spending over 200k on a house.

Sadly this is common. Plumbers can just lash in a mains system quickly (usually small bore 15mm) with plastic and leave any low mains pressure problems for the client to deal with.
You'll be offered everything from pump sets to accumulators at a premium cost.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
You're not going to get luxury specs for that

He didn't need luxury specs. All he needed was a nice simple gravity system.
You know the one where you crawl into the loft space about once every 20 years to service the float valve?

Laws of physics are a b*stard. Water pressure is governed by the water company and they won't boost it just for you.

Stuart Turner Flomate, or similar.

200K on a house is not very much. You're not going to get luxury specs for that.

Well it's 25k more than the average house price in the north west which is where I live. I also wouldnt class having a shower which works while a toilet is flushed as 'luxury'.

Last edited:
Some plumber like you bodged the original install by lashing in a mains pressure system.
Hardly easy to rectify now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back