Electric shower pull cord

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our shower pull cord won't pull this morning. It was stuck in the off position but it has a tiny green button on it and if I press that the power switches on. If I pull the chord to turn it back off it doesn't go back on again.
Why does the green button turn it back on? Why does it keep sticking? Will I have to change the chord unit?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Don't keep turning it on and off?

Get it replaced and then keep it in the on position unless performing maintenance.

They're not really designed for general switching, but merely isolation during servicing. The green button sounds unusual though - do you have a picture?

Sponsored Links
I don't know how to post pictures on here - my daughter did it for me last time I posted some and she's not here til the end of the week o_O

Last edited:
The green button is what looks like a little black line inside the ring where the pull cord comes out.
It's pushed in now and flush with the surface. If I pull the cord it pops back out and the switch won't pull again until the button is pushed again.

Attachments

• received_2749373741740522.jpeg
    received_2749373741740522.jpeg
    99.8 KB · Views: 818
It's not a button, it's a mechanical indicator flag to show when the isolator is in the on, or off position.

In the event of a power failure and the light isn't working it will show which position the isolator is in, so it can be left in the safe (off) position.

From what you describe, it would appear that the switch internals are worn causing the mechanism to stick and it should be replaced.

Most electric shower manufacturers will have a statement in their instructions about its use. Triton for example:

Op inst.JPG

Last edited:
The green button is what looks like a little black line inside the ring where the pull cord comes out.
It's pushed in now and flush with the surface. If I pull the cord it pops back out and the switch won't pull again until the button is pushed again.
And when it is replaced please make sure the little plastic insulator is in place. It is a safety device.

So why does the switch work when I push the indicator back in?

Replace it with a Crabtree 50A pull switch, that's what you appear to have.

Most other makes are a different shape, which would make replacement more difficult.

You notice the switch and wire ends are burnt - if they are you will have to re-strip the cables back to nice clean copper and sound insulation.

It's not a button, it's a mechanical indicator flag to show when the isolator is in the on, or off position.

In the event of a power failure and the light isn't working it will show which position the isolator is in, so it can be left in the safe (off) position.

From what you describe, it would appear that the switch internals are worn causing the mechanism to stick and it should be replaced.

Most electric shower manufacturers will have a statement in their instructions about its use. Triton for example:

View attachment 172876

Yet another example of manufacturers instructions being wrong. Not only does it NOT need isolating when not in use, there is no requirement for the isolating switch at all.

Yet another example of manufacturers instructions being wrong. Not only does it NOT need isolating when not in use, there is no requirement for the isolating switch at all.
What makes you think there is no need for the isolation when the manufacturer thinks there is?

My wife likes a clean shiny shower enclosure. I accidentally forgot to pull the isolating cord to the off position once last year, she got into the shower to clean it (as my wipe down wasn't good enough) and rubbed the front of the unit a bit too vigorously. She must have hit the on button and you can guess the rest. Yes, she was fully clothed. :D
My Mira Sport instruction booklet says that the isolator is required by the regs. and the electrician who fitted it was equally adamant that it is a legal requirement.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back