electric shower troubleshooting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Very grateful for any help...
I have recently installed a Triton 'Jade' 9.5kw electric shower, which was wired in by an electrician.
The water supply has been taken from the cold water pipe that suplies the bath and there seems to be plenty of water pressure.
Unfortunately the low water pressure light illuminates as soon as the shower is turned on, and cold water only, emerges in a pathetic trickle.
I have tried to flush the thing out.
Can any one suggest what course of action I should try next?
Like an idiot, I have lost all the instructions
Many Thanks
Frank

Sponsored Links
When you say 'plenty of pressure'......

Is the pipe that supplies the bath fed from the tank in the loft, or from the mains??

You will know if the tap is mains - you wont be able to stop the flow with your finger - a tanked supply you would (assuming you can cover the tap oulet with your finger!).

Also, if you run the bath tap for a while, do you here the loft tank filling??
Also, you could turn the mains water off, and try the tap....if it still works....it's tanked.

Tanked supplies can only be used on electric showers that incorporate a pump.

Other than that, the only other thing would be debris in the pipework. There is a filter on the inlet to most showers, and if this gets clogged, the flow will be reduced.

Thanks for your reply. It is fed from the cold water tank in the roof.
I have checked the filter on the inlet, which seems clean as a whistle.
This pump you mentioned, is it difficult to fit of expensive?
The electrician installed an RCD as I have a very old consumer unit/fuse box, would it be possible to run a pump from this in addition to the shower?
Regards
Frank

Sponsored Links
You actually need a pumped version. I am not sure if you can simply add a pump - I don't think so.........better ask in the plumbing section.

Unless you can re-route the pipework to pick up the mains pressure pipework running up to the loft. (the tank will be filled via mains pressure, unless you have your own water supply etc...)

Lectrician/Spark123,
Thankyou both for your help. Looks like a new shower will be the easiest solution as the plumbing and electrics are already there. I have been advised that it is possible to install a separate pump but the pump alone costs more than the pumped electric shower recommended by Spark123.
Cheers and best regards
Frank

Electric showers only run off mains cold water.
I know triton do an electric power shower, same radial circuit parameters but cold water feed is taken from the tank feed instead, put one in a few weeks back its a nice model.
That particular model shower your having trouble with, i had trouble with same model on a previous install, everything seemed fine..anyhow it turns out the shower was knackered.

Cheers mate,
I think that the best option is a new pumped shower, will get someone qualified to fit it. I would be tempted to run the water supply from the cold water tank feed but time is of the essence as the wife is pregnant and only just fits in the bath.
The things we chaps have to do!
Best Regards
Frank

frank.M. said:
Very grateful for any help...
I have recently installed a Triton 'Jade' 9.5kw electric shower, which was wired in by an electrician.
The water supply has been taken from the cold water pipe that suplies the bath and there seems to be plenty of water pressure.
Unfortunately the low water pressure light illuminates as soon as the shower is turned on, and cold water only, emerges in a pathetic trickle.
I have tried to flush the thing out.
Can any one suggest what course of action I should try next?
Like an idiot, I have lost all the instructions
Many Thanks
Frank

I would phone Triton for technical advice. My experience of them is that they are quite helpful.

frank.M. said:
I have recently installed a Triton 'Jade' 9.5kw electric shower,
baldelectrician said:
Better to get the plumbing changed, this should have been spotted by the person installing the shower
I think Frank realises that now ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back