Electric Shower Wiring

Sponsored Links
screenshot_1270.jpg

Sponsored Links
If that's what you wish to think.

I don't know anybody who has such a loose interpretation of maths and figures.

The biggest electric showers are around 8kW

Why didn't you just write "around 10.5kW"?

Or do you deliberately write guff because you like all the attention you get from doing so?

Children do that - if they cannot get positive attention from their parents they will revert to behaviour that attracts negative attention because negative attention is better that no attention at all.

If that's what you wish to think.

I don't know anybody who has such a loose interpretation of maths and figures.

Why didn't you just write "around 10.5kW"?

Or do you deliberately write guff because you like all the attention you get from doing so?

Children do that - if they cannot get positive attention from their parents they will revert to behaviour that attracts negative attention because negative attention is better that no attention at all.

You are not contributing anything worthwhile to this thread.

An electric shower is just an instant water heater packaged up into a wall mounted thing with the controls on it.

I'm talking about a heater like these: https://www.redring.co.uk/catalogue/water-heating/instantaneous-water-heaters/powerstream/

Although that make is no good for the application shown in my diagram. It works in the same way that many/most electric showers work, which you're probably familiar with - the heater runs at a constant power (maybe on one of two settings), and you control the temperature by adjusting the rate of flow of water through the heater. The temperature knob is a valve. More water through the shower = cooler temperature, less water = hotter.

But that's no good if you want to put a normal shower mixer valve on the output, as the way they work is at odds with the way the heater works. With a shower mixer, if it's too hot, you turn the knob and the mixer reduces the amount of hot water being used and increases the cold. If the hot water comes from one of those electric heaters then when the flow is reduced by the shower mixer it gets hotter. So you turn the mixer knob a bit more, and reduce the hot flow a bit more, and the hot water gets hotter. This cycle continues until the heater over-temperature cutout shuts it down. Similarly if your shower water is too cool, you call for more hot water using your mixer, and increased flow through the heater makes the water cooler. Redring do make a mixer designed to work with their instant heaters, and it doesn't look too bad,

image.png

but it won't necessarily match your other fittings, and if it's a backup it means having that as well as your normal shower mixer.

There are some showers with thermostatic controls which don't work that way - they modulate the heater, but instant heaters which do that are rarer, and you couldn't repurpose one as a heater supplying a mixer shower as you must not have taps on the output. There is this heater: https://www.electric-heatingcompany.co.uk/product/bonus-instant-water-heater/ and I have asked them, and they say that it is OK on a normal mixer, so if they make one, possibly other companies do.
very comprehensive, - and thank you.

so working under that assumption

If I had a mixer tap that I had installed and behind the scenes installed one of these,
https://www.redring.co.uk/product/4...ting/instantaneous-water-heaters/powerstream/

I could swap over if the combi failed ?

As my very comprehensive post explained ;), you cannot use that heater with a normal mixer.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back