Electric supply looped? EV research

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I’ve been researching EVs and came across the term looped electric supply. (I’m not an electrician)

I wanted to know if mine is and I don’t think it is but it looks like there used to be 2 cables at the bottom due to holes in shelf but now isn’t. However I don’t understand is what the black cable with the red and green at top top is - this goes into the ground in a separate place to the main supply.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would guess it goes next door.
or maybe a garage

I would have used black tape. But the DNO do what they like

Looks like a feed to another dwelling, but the fuse is in your gaff, so not ideal.

Unless there is another meter in your property.

Where is the missing fuseholder? That's a hazard!

There's no garage/other meter on my property. Looked an odd setup to anything else I've seen pictures of.
The fuse holder - I don't know, we've never touched it. Apart from possibly when an electrician upgraded our fuse board when we moved in. :/

Sponsored Links
@AndyPRK its a bit hit and miss, some chargepoint suppliers won't install on one, some will apparently. I don't have an EV but hoping to go down that route when I change car/have driveway done!

AFEE8DDB-CB79-4BFE-94B4-4B2455599B93.jpeg

Use this map to find out who your electricity supplier is, and then ring their emergency telephone number to report a dangerous cutout with exposed live parts.

They will normally have an engineer on site within 3 hours. While he’s there, you could ask him where the other cable goes to. They will not charge you for this repair.

I wouldn’t class this as a looped supply as it’s on a different phase, but it’s still a bit of a poor setup, and currently is in an unsafe condition.

Thanks for the advice. I've called and someone is coming out today

I would agree it does seem to be a three phase supply, with one phase unused, as to if there is actually three phases or if some has used a three phase head on a split phase supply we have know way of knowing. There is only one set of people who can tell you, and that is the DNO.

Its a 1970s ex Birmingham council hous eif that helps....

My son had same with ex council house, the paperwork said each house supplied independently from road, but in actually fact the supply was looped, it delayed his extension a year getting cables taken off the wall.

Please do tell us the result when DNO guy calls.

My son had same with ex council house, the paperwork said each house supplied independently from road, but in actually fact the supply was looped, it delayed his extension a year getting cables taken off the wall.

Please do tell us the result when DNO guy calls.
As expected, 3 phase supply -one going to neighbour and one not in use. They replaced the missing case, and upgraded my fuse from 60 to 80 while they were here.

Did they sort out the exposed basic insulation on the looped supply?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back